The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning! My typically voracious mare is not feeling well this morning. Walked away from her morning feed, highly unusual. When I stood next to her and held the bucket up to her she did eventually eat it unenthusiastically, in about twice the time it usually takes. Totally ignored all hay offered (again, usually first to the best pile). Morning feed includes about half cup of well soaked Timothy/alfalfa cubes, 1/2 cup ration balancer with 1tsp salt, a scoop of probiotics, and a scoop of remission.

She has very obvious gut sounds and pooped normally after she ate. Haven’t seen her drink any water but that’s not unusual at this time of day.

Now she’s just walking around aimlessly avoiding the other horses and standing staring off into space.

Am I thinking possible colic? Unfortunately my digital thermometer appears to be dead (PSA-check your first aid kit before you need it!) so I will have to run out and get a new one to check temp. Otherwise she doesn’t seem distressed in terms of breathing/heart rate. Gums seem normal.

Thanks for any advice! Right now I’ll watch her until lunch time and probably put in a call to the vet if she’s still not eating

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Very well could be colic,not interested in feed or hay. Slowly at her feed sure sounds like colic.

Yeah I'd give the vet a call.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, she started wiggling her lips oddly and looking more uncomfortable so I called the vet. She’s going to stop by in a few minutes. May be overreacting, but I appreciate that the vet’s opinion is “better to see them sooner when it’s not a big deal than later when it is.” Hopefully it’s nothing.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Hopefully it IS nothing, but please keep us updated!

Reactions: egrogan

·
Super Moderator
26,879 Posts
Did you offer warm water? I'm not sure what your weather is but if it's really cold she may want some hot/warm water.

Reactions: egrogan

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm sure this is not your problem but, a couple weeks ago I went out in the morning to feed my two horses. When I put the feed out for my gelding he didn't act too enthusiast but, when I put feed out for my filly she smelled it and said "no way". I thought oh cr*p sick horse. Then I remembered I had just opened a new bag of feed. I went back to the tack room and got some sweet feed that is ear marked for the cattle and she ate it immediately. Bad feed!. The date on the bag was made in November. I called the manufacturer and they said it could be moldy or fermenting. I told them I smelled it and didn't notice anything but, my filly sure did. They said to return it to the place of purchase and get a different lot. Also, said it could have been stored improperly before I got it. I only buy two bags at a time so it doesn't get old on me. Got a bag on return from a different batch and she ate it enthusiastically as usual. This feed is from a very good name in horse feed so watch your horse's reaction to feed and react quickly if something is out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awww, thank you all for the jingles and concern. Maggie is going to be ok! She was running a bit of a temp and actually had overactive gut sounds- I had never heard of that before- but was definitely feeling uncomfortable. She got a mild sedative to relax the gut/help with any pain she's having. She's already much more alert and happier looking. And after learning about "hypermotile" gut, I realized I saw two cow patty like poo piles yesterday and didn't know who they came from. So I guess this was brewing since the afternoon yesterday.

She's allowed some hay and water and has to hang out in the barn for most of the day. I'll check on her regularly and get her out to walk around a bit. Vet left me with a new thermometer so I can check that a few times too.

I'm glad I called when I did as vet was on her way about an hour north to the community college where she teaches in the vet tech program. We've getting a fair bit of snow today so would have likely taken her a bit to make it back our way.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Glad Maggie is going to be ok,good news. Ice gets the cow pie manure but never has acted colicky.

It's always better to have vet out sooner rather then later. Good thing you called vet when you did. More jingles sent for Maggie.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
Glad to hear you had the vet out and things seem to be under control! If I learned one thing from Rusty's colic last year, it's that you should never wait when colic is a possibility! He went downhill so fast that by the time the vet got there, he was flailing around, we couldn't get him up, and we had to tube him right away. It was really frightening. Glad it's not colic though! Hopefully things settle down and go back to normal now.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On days like today I feel very fortunate to work from home so I can keep an eye on things. Went out at lunch time to check on the patient, and her temp was down to 99.8*F. She was bright eyed and acting like her starving self (I put out half a net of hay when the vet left and she had picked it clean, begging for more). I took her for a short walk up and down the road, which she was happy to do (we have a beautiful snow storm going on, very pretty walk). I offered her a handful of timothy/alfalfa cubes soaked to soup in some warm water and she thought that was about the greatest thing ever (she's a retired endurance horse so she knows how to take down a bowl of mushy green stuff :wink:). She had also drunk about half a bucket of water in the stall and there were a couple of normal poo piles. I just left her with a little more hay in the net and I think she will get released from prison to go back out to the pasture around 3:30 when I finish my conference calls for the day. Fingers and toes crossed she is through whatever "it" was. Thank you all again for your concern and support- means a lot!

PS- this was the weird lip wiggle thing she was doing this morning - took a quick video to send to the vet before she came out

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
that lip wiggle is very much like her gritting her teeth to relieve the pain. Our little Fox Trotter did that this spring when she was ill and running a high temp. Horses can and do grind their teeth but some will grit their teeth and then their lips will move as well.

So glad she is feeling better

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maggie was happy and hungry this morning! Temp has been consistently around 99.8*F since monitoring yesterday, including through this morning. Her attitude and behavior was back to normal as well. I am hopeful that it was just an isolated episode and we won't have any more problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts