The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I'd like to say that I'm entirely new to forums.. So I hope I'm not putting this in the wrong spot. The following is a little long but I promise there is a question! This has been on my mind since the night it happened, and since I have not been around horses much [only ridden one horse and he was a stranger's], I wanted to see what others had to say about this. It took me by surprise.

So in my little town there was a Rodeo event going on. My friend and I went to it - We're crazy about horses. At first we were too shy to ask to pet the horses, but we finally got to when this man left his horse tied up and walked off. We sat there petting it for a while. Then this little girl [turns out the guy was her dad] came up with her brown [forgot actual color] horse and tied him up too. My friend and I had actually been watching the little girl ride, she was amazing at it but ran her horse a lot. Anyway, we spent a lot of time petting those horses throughout the night. We even got to ride this beautiful Red Roan Quarter named Fish. I had a one lap around the ring ride, and the other kids had him extremely antsy and ready to run. It wasn't easy keeping him at a slow pace. Towards the end of the rodeo I noticed the little girl's horse standing over at another tie up, but he wasn't tied up and the poor guy looked miserable. I noticed even from a dinstance that the "tie-down" [Martingale?] as the cowboys called it, was way too tight. The horse could not raise his head above his shoulders. I wanted to loosen it so badly. She was busy playing with older girls, only glancing over at her horse off and on. I went over to him and began to try and comfort him. Of course my friend came over to pet him too, but she had walked off shortly after. When I felt the eyes of the other girls on me I felt I had stayed too long with him and went to look for my friend. Next thing I know, I hear footsteps behind me. Much to my surprise he began to happily follow me! I say happily because as he followed, his expression just changed and he didn't even look exhausted. It was an amazing feeling.. Until the girls thought I untied him XD Needless to say that was resolved quickly.

Is this a normal horse behavior? I had never seen this horse in my life and on the first night we met he chose to follow me. Many of the horses I was around seemed to enjoy my company too. I would love to know what your thoughts about this are.

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
Lots of horses will follow people. Even total strangers. They are kind of supposed to go with their people. You evidently spent enough quality time with him to be "accepted".

Reactions: Palomine

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Horses often follow people. Sometimes it can because they think you are trying to lead them, other times because they're curious or consider you the leader.

Seems like you had a pretty fun time!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That makes sense. It just surprised me because no other horse had even attempted to follow me, but he did, even with his owner sitting just a couple feet away. It did not cross my mind could have anything to do with leading. After all I did let him know that I had to go, and my body language was different from when I was handling/leading Fish.

Though I did have a lot of fun. Thank you! I appreciate you guys commenting.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
All horses are different. Some are more personable then other I agree, he probably thought you trying to lead him. It's just kind of natural for them. Especially when you've spent so much time around his head. Another good example of this is horses who will stay in their stall when you forget to put the stall guard up.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.