The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was asked to take my friends horse in for training when she went away for the Air Force. The person who was "training" him before me was doing A LOT more harm then good! She asked this person to train him western.. and she used so much force this poor horse would start dripping sweat after a 20 min ride.. even if it was just trotting with his head in teh sky!! The second you got on him [this is from experience] he would speed off at teh walk with his head up in the sky and start prancing.. I rode this horse BEFORE that "trainer" got to him and he was nothing like that.. well anywaysss after 3-4 months of work I got through his shell and got some trust and relaxation through the help of parelli. Got his permission to ride him and did a lot of circle work and bending to keep him from bracing and getting to nervous. Well this is where we ended up :)

I know hes a bit behind the verticle. Let me know what you think :) Dont be to harsh though because I am REALLY proud of what I did with him. And everyone who sees me ride him cant really believe its the same horse. This horse use to perposily run into the other horses when being ridden. Now hes actually respectful when riding.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bridle, Reins, and rope halter :p
The bit he has on is close to myler bit. It has low port on it with no break.. idk if im explaining that right.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Ok...it looks like he's lacking impulsion from that picture....although I wasn't there watching him go....but if he was more forward and pushing from behind that would help bring his head up, even though you are going for Western. I'd do a lot of Freestyle stuff with him to help his confidence. Going behind the bit is evasion and comes from lack of confidence in the rider's hands/contact on the bit.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im actually trying to make him less impulsive right now because hes TOO impulsive usually lol! His owner wants him like western please slow which is ridiculous but its what she wants. So Im trying to get it so he still uses his hind end but can really slow himself down.

Thats actually kinda where I want his head. Im trying to keep him at .. or a little below wither level.

He actaully goes behind the bit because thats literally what he was taught by the other owner, it was hard enough to bring his head down .. but to stop going into like a rolkur position. When you first use to pick up teh reins he would tuck his head right under it was horrible lol So Hes getting better.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
:/ I don't know if you should train, not to be mean! But if you're inexperienced you could end up hurting the horse even more.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Michele he looks great! So much better from the pictures I've seen before. It looks like hes really starting to trust someone for once in his life!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive worked with horses for 8-9 years. Broke my own horse to ride. And now training this horse. Also trained my very first horse to canter under saddle :)

I think im safe to train him.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Just be careful, this isn't your horse, so if you mess up then it is all on you. Just because you've broke one horse doesn't make you qualified. The trainers I know have worked (I mean riding every 4 days, not just mucking stalls and brushing them) with horses for 10+ years and did job shadows (or went to college for it) with well known trainers before they started to train horses.

And correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you post saying your horse was lame? and that you have never dealt with a lame horse before?

To me that doesn't sound like experience.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can actually take back what I said about the lame horse thing because my first horse will was lamed up from 2 huge masses he had in his back legs.. so I take that back. Sadly, poor boy had to be put down.

I ride these two horses 4-5 days a week.... maybe more. Sadly Chance is lame so she cannot be worked. They both got worked form the ground up. Chance was a abused/neglect case from teh day she was born till the day i got her [4 1/2].. so yeah it kinda took some skills to get her to where she is.

Im actually gonna start working with a few other horses at my barn. One is another horse that was "trained" by this "trainer" And is totally messed up and lashing out at everythign and the poor owner is only 13. Im gonna be working with the owner so she can get her confidence up with her horse, of course starting from teh ground.

Im planning on going and working with trainers in the future. Everyone starts someone. Right now Im started with helping people with there horses.

Can you not see a CLEAR change in this horse???

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THIS is the FIRST day the trainer EVER work with little...

Sadly I have no pictures of the "end result" But it was literally rolkur type head set it was HORRIBLE

·
Registered
5,455 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Um if u look in the health section KH theres a good reason why she hasnt been dependable this winter. She might have something going on with her overies meaning PAIN :) Shes only a spazz in the winter so they think it has to do with her heat cycles/overies.. or there might be something going wrong with her inside.

So thats not my fault. You cannot blame me for that.

Im just about done with this forum...

Its also my photo so and you cant tell whos in teh photo really.

Obviously nothing positive is gonna come out of this.. so maybe just close the thread now?????

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Do you have that persons permission to post photos of them and call them horrible/abusive?
Although we will remove pictures of people/horses used without permission, the rider is not shown or identified so I see no problem with it.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Funny but you never said anything about her just being dangerous in the winter in the original thread. Why is it that you always get so defensive when someone tells you you're wrong or you shouldn't be doing something? None of us are infallible but you seem unwilling to admit you may be wrong about something. I wish you were the horseman you think you are but I think you have a long way to go. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I'm going to agree with Kevin on this one. It is positive... we're looking out for the welfare of the horse. Just because it's not what you want to hear. And to the pic of the trainer, if that is the first day then I would say she isn't that bad. That is nothing like Rollkur... All your doing is pointing out how bad an experienced trainer is when you're not as experienced D;

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Because this was suppose to be a positive post but NOTHING seems to be positive on **** forum!
I'm afraid that I take great offense to that statement. The vast majority of threads on this and most forums are done in a positive fashion. Even with well over 30 years riding/owning/training horses, I am wrong at times and I take the correction as a learning experience regardless of what the original post was concerned with.

As for the thread that Kevin refereed to, in nearly 250 posts, never did you mention a physical problem related to her in the winter. In fact, you refer to her this way in post 238
.. even YOU know that chance is VERY well able and would kill someone .. as much as I hate to admit that. Last year...The time on teh trail... the arena with the tractor... were you there for the time she went total brunco on megan??? Im not gonna lie Chance has a BAD streak.. when sehs good shes GOOD but when she feel like being bratty she usually will go full out.

Horses aren't "bratty" they are ill trained.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.