The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I have discussed with multiple people and I have gotten different answers. My horse's previous owner called him a liver chestnut but others tell me he is a regular chestnut and I am having trouble deciding which one he is. He has the mane and tail of a more liver chestnut horse but his coat isn't as dark. His tail has a lighter tone of chestnut down at the bottom. Also, he has a few (maybe 3) small random splotches of darker chestnut on his coat, if that helps.

·
Registered
523 Posts
first pic I'd have said chestnut, but looking at his mane and tail in the second I'm going to say liver chestnut, his mane and tail are too dark for a regular chestnut colouring ...

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
he looks liver chestnut in the 1st picture, but bay in the 2nd apart from the slight brown tinge in the tail.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
i think bright bay is right also
chestnuts really dont have that dark of mane and tails
yeah im leaning towards bay too his mane is dark (almost black) . liver chestnuts are dark brown all over

some examples i think that last one best represents liver chestnut.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Photos can be a poor indicator concerning colors that are very close due to camera differences but I don't see how anyone sees Bay. There are no black points aside from mane and tail. What I see is Brown, pure and simple.

Bay (horse) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
well w/e color of the rainbow he might be.. he is BEAUTIFUL!!! and you should definatly be happy with that! lol

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I agree with kassierae

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I agree that he is beautiful regardless of what you decide to call him. Definitely not a bay as he has no black points (legs and ears). I would call him a dark chesnut. When I think liver chesnut, I picture a horse like kassierae posted. One that is almost black and the color of actual liver is what I call a liver chesnut.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I am fairly certain he is not bay because his tail and mane are not black. Perhaps more pictures might help?
This is a close up of his tail, you can see at the bottom it gets lighter. It would have more obvious highlights at the bottom if his tail was not dock clipped.

Coat color in bright sunlight

·
Registered
735 Posts
IMO he's just chestnut with a darker mane and tail. Not common exactly, but certainly not unheard of.

Bays have black points. He doesn't have black points, just a darker than average shade of chestnut mane and tail.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Yeah, definitely no bay..They do need to have the black points.
Looks like you just have a special chestnut =P

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
o____O How are people getting that he's a bay? He has NO agouti factor whatsoever!

Dark Chestnut fo' sho.

·
Registered
39 Posts
his mane and tail are black, so he can't be a chestnut, coz they have the same colour mane and tail! But he also doesn't have any other black points, i.e ears and legs, so I'd say he was a brown? :D hes cute!

·
Registered
992 Posts
No, chestnut does not always have the same color mane and tail. I think you should all go to the www.equine-color.info website and read about it. A chestnut can have the same color mane and tail, or they can have a lighter or darker mane and tail. The horse in question does not in fact have a black mane and tail, they are just dark. He is a dark chestnut by description.

I'm a color freak. Can ya tell?

·
Registered
194 Posts
No, chestnut does not always have the same color mane and tail. I think you should all go to the www.equine-color.info website and read about it. A chestnut can have the same color mane and tail, or they can have a lighter or darker mane and tail. The horse in question does not in fact have a black mane and tail, they are just dark. He is a dark chestnut by description.

I'm a color freak. Can ya tell?
I agree 100% with this. Your horse is definitely gorgeous, but he's most certainly not bay. I think I read somewhere that his shade of chestnut would be referred as tostado chestnut, which is chestnut with the darker mane and tail. I have a mare the same color as your guy and in certain light, her mane and tail can look almost black (but they are really just a very dark brown). My girl also has the darker spots throughout her coat. :)

Here's a picture of my mare--you can't see her tail very well in this pic, but it's quite dark. You can, however, see her dark mane and those dark spots on her coat.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts