The Horse Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,364 Posts
HYPP is the result of "Impressive" inbreeding, that is, "Impressive" blood on both sides. I'd keep the horse, but don't knowingly buy another one.

That is not a true statement. HYPP is a genetic desease that traces soley back to Impressive. Impressive was the original carrier. He was at the time, probably considered the perfect specimen as far as what an AQHA horse would look like so many, many people bred to this stallion.

It took years for people to realize HYPP even existed and once they did, it took even more years to trace it back to Impressive. By then many many horses had been bred and were now carriers.

It had nothing to do with inbreeding.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
I wouldn't touch a QH with ANY "Impressive" blood, with a ten foot pole. These QH breeders joke about "linebreeding" being when "inbreeding" works, and "inbreeding" when the horse is suffering. Pretty stupid, and the horse ALWAYS pays the price.

·
Super Moderator
26,364 Posts
I wouldn't touch a QH with ANY "Impressive" blood, with a ten foot pole. These QH breeders joke about "linebreeding" being when "inbreeding" works, and "inbreeding" when the horse is suffering. Pretty stupid, and the horse ALWAYS pays the price.
I have 2 Impressive horses. One is an Impressive Grandaughter, the other is her son. They are both HYPP/NN. I love their personalities and their brains. I love the way they look... I love everything about them. I'd buy an Impressive bred horse any day of the week as long as it's HYPP/NN.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I have 2 Impressive horses. One is an Impressive Grandaughter, the other is her son. They are both HYPP/NN. I love their personalities and their brains. I love the way they look... I love everything about them. I'd buy an Impressive bred horse any day of the week as long as it's HYPP/NN.
Agree with you. It is surprising how many people are ill informed about HYPP & it is those people that voice the loudest against impressive bred horses:-(.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts