The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted a couple threads on this guy over the last couple of years.

Background:
About 2 summers ago my hunt gelding came up from the pasture injured/ill. He was unable to lift his head above his knees and was very unsteady, walked as though her were drunk. He was also running a high fever. Had the vet out, they took many different types of blood tests, all of which showed really nothing out of the ordinary, other than his white blood count was really high. He was fighting off some type of infection so they put him on some heavy antibiotics which cleared it up but he was still acting as though he had some type of neurological issue. The vet came back out and tested for EPM and other things. Nothing.

Over time he got better, held his head up again and acted normal. I did notice he held his head high when eating so we had his teeth done. Last summer we noticed that he had a lump of some sort on his jaw so we called the vet out. eventually ending up taking him to the clinic for skull x-rays. It turned out that he did not have a lump but the muscles had atrophied around his cheekbone making it appear to have a lump when really it's an indentation. No bone damage was apparent on the x-ray but his jaw is paralyzed on that side.

They could not do a float this year because his mouth would not open wide enough so we ended up laying him down and doing it with him completely out. They were able to do it at a cost of $700 a few months ago.

Today I thought he looked like his lips were hanging loose so I offered him a carrot. His teeth will not open far enough to put a carrot in his mouth. A bit will fit and he still rides, he is maintaining his weight and his spirits are good but obviously the condition is deteriorating and I'm assuming at some point he will not be able to eat. I'm also concerned that IF his lips are starting to be effected, will he be able to drink?

We are debating taking him to Blue Ridge Equine which is an excellent facility but very expensive, especially if it's just to get a no can fix diagnosis. I was also wondering about a chiro treatment, maybe that could help? I will call the vet to talk to them. Thoughts on taking him to Morven Park?

I added electrolytes to his diet today but I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not...

Any thoughts, any ideas, suggestions are welcome. I'm going outside right now to take some pictures of him to post. He looks pretty healthy and happy right now...

·
Registered
427 Posts
May be kind of a silly suggestion, but could he have gotten kicked in the head, or hit it on something that could be causing this? Maybe some weird arthritis? Pictures would help. Poor lad.. Hope this clears up soon, sending healing vibes your way!

·
Registered
14,265 Posts
I have no idea what is it, however Lockjaw is tetanus. You sure don't want him to have that!

·
Super Moderator
26,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not Lock Jaw, it's a paralysis. We don't know what caused it, It happened about 2 years ago. There were no physical signs of injury at the time but obviously something happened.

I took these today w/ my cell phone so they may show up sideways.

The pictures won't load.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have more pix but this site and I do not get along. I'll try to download them from work tomorrow. This computer hates me.

·
Super Moderator
26,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have more pix but this site and I do not get along. I'll try to download them from work tomorrow. This computer hates me.
Trying from my iPhone . I think I can only do one at a time from the phony

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the side with paralysis

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Side that is normal

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He is maintaining his weight well though

Attachments

·
Registered
49,329 Posts
that is very strange. If it were tetanus, wouldn't it have killed him by now? horses are carriers of tetanus, so we humans should always keep those vaccines up to date.

But, he looks good otherwise. The skull xray showed his mandibular joint to be ok? not calcified?

·
Administrator
36,077 Posts
If he's well and happy and you can afford the costs then as long as he stays in that way its really up to you if you keep him or not - if he was in pain then you'd soon know about it
I was kicked on the side of my head some years ago and though I cant describe my jaw problem as a paralysis the damage done to my jaw on that side has resulted in a similar 'locking' so I cant open my mouth very wide - also makes dental work difficult but doesn't stop me eating or talking and no pain from it at all.

·
Super Moderator
26,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that is very strange. If it were tetanus, wouldn't it have killed him by now? horses are carriers of tetanus, so we humans should always keep those vaccines up to date.

But, he looks good otherwise. The skull xray showed his mandibular joint to be ok? not calcified?
No issues with the joint or bone. It's not tetnas, he was always fully up to date on shots and there were no cuts. They ran a gazillion different test, all I can say is that summer that he was so ill was when it all started. I thought his neck was broke at the time. I wondered if he ate something poison, or got kicked but nothing is broken, they x-rayed front, side, and every which way...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.