The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pony jumper jumps/shows 3'0. He used to jump 3'3" and school 3'6", but he's 20 now so we're taking it easy.

Well someone had the nerve to say to me recently "when are you going to grow up and get a horse?"

UMMM WHAT?
Seriously, my pony is pretty darn athletic! What's the big deal if he's only 14.1? We work well together!

Some people..
Has anyone else encountered people with an attitude like this? I'd love to have a snappy comeback lol

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
You consider 14.1 a pony?? LOL. I guess I am just so used to riding small horses that it isn't such a big deal to me. I actually prefer the shorter horses; easier to get on and not so far to fall off :D.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Tell them that you don't wanna grow up because you're afraid you'll end up like them :D

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I've had people say things like "yeah, you need to get yourself on a horse" when I've ridden ponies.
I'm 5'2 and about 100 pounds, I fit ponies wonderfully.
Sigh, some people!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Honestly, with me.. i would tell them where to shove it.. ( thats just me) i dont know how opiniated you are because i really am.. lol but thats just because i had a pony and i loved her to death and she was awesome..
and ponies can do just as much as horses can..
so dont let anyone tell ou that your pony isn't good enough!!

·
Registered
673 Posts
My mare was 15.1, and my trainer would always call her a pony, and tell me I needed to upgrade. She also hated the fact she was an appaloosa.

:(

·
Registered
8 Posts
see my quarter pony was just a little above 14 hands..
whats wrong with a appy??
there is no such thing as a upgrade when it comes to horses...
thats like telling you that you cant breath.. my horses are my best friends.. not pets. so im never going to be due for a upgrade :) lol it will just keep expanding lol

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hahahaha the person who said this to me, I'm just going to make it my goal to beat her. (Which actually isn't unreasonable at all..)
She can eat my pony's dirt ;-)

·
Banned
5,892 Posts
Tell her that you are sorry that she is intimidated by your pony. I would tell her something along the lines of 'hey look, its not my pony's fault that your horse can't ride' lol My gelding is 14.2 and I actually have to correct people at the barn all the time and say 'hey, hes not a pony!' Its too bad that he is way too talented and athletic and can outrun their horses!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Some people just think if you're not riding their horse your horse isn't good enough.. You know what I mean? If you got a 20 hand draft tomorrow, it would be too tall!! If you got one the same exact build, size, and temperament it would be the wrong color!!

I know the type.

·
Registered
495 Posts
yeah I like ponys i think they are cute and theres less of a fall. but i ride tall horses just because i am tall and they fit me

·
Registered
322 Posts
I still ride a 13.2hh pony and she's ancient. At nearly 32 she's got more skip in her step than horses a third her age. So everyone can bite me. My pony kicks butt.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
This is another one of those topics that doesn't make much sense to me. The way that I grew up, a pony isn't necessarily decided by a horse's height. A pony is more considered a breed. Shetlands and welsh (though we never see them around here) are what I call ponies. If a horse is an actual horse like a QH or a TB or whatever else, then they are a horse, regardless of height. We had a little QH mare for about 20 years that I don't even think broke 14hh but I would never have dared to call her pony. She could outwork any horse twice her size and when my brother held a footrace at the feedlot he worked at, she was 19 years old and 8 months pregnant and she still whooped all the other horses. LOL.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh dear, what a poor attitude these people have to make comments like that. I'm sure your Pony is amazing, he sounds it :).

My Mare is only 14hh and I have only had one incident, a group of girls were making some really nasty comments before the start of a 3.3 hunter trial. I just smiled and then beat them :D.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Casper's 14.2 h, and his predecessor (the best horse in the entire universe) was 14.1 h. Both Arabians, which are horses regardless of their size. They certainly have the 'tudes of bigger horses! :p

Even JJ is small for a TB, only coming in at 15.2 h. Which for me of course, is humongous! :wink:

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
This is another one of those topics that doesn't make much sense to me. The way that I grew up, a pony isn't necessarily decided by a horse's height. A pony is more considered a breed.
generally a pony is 14.2 and under and a horse over, although you are right about the breed thing though, if a new forest grows to 14.3hh then they are still a pony. and minis are horses :p

Casper's 14.2 h, and his predecessor (the best horse in the entire universe) was 14.1 h. Both Arabians, which are horses regardless of their size. They certainly have the 'tudes of bigger horses! :p

Even JJ is small for a TB, only coming in at 15.2 h. Which for me of course, is humongous! :wink:
seabiscuit was only 15.2 hh:wink:

my horse's dam was arab and must have been 'pony' sized but still a horse and my boy's tb sire was huge and grandsire was 17.2!
my horse, however, is 15h (well 14.3 3/4) and people at te stables call him the 'littlen' :( haha i dont mind, he jumps better and higher than the 16.3s!

OP- dont worry about it, ignore it, dont sink to their level, love your pony!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.