The Horse Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello horse community! I have a horse named Maeve! I live in NJ and some of my family lives in Vermont. We are going there for a week and a half. I’m bringing my horse. She is 21, very mature. We only have one stall at the barn but she will be turned out near other horses for most of the day. I think that she will be fine. My trainers think so too. She doesn’t love other horses all that much, but I’m still worried. Getting her some stall toys, trying relaxing horse music, and will be spending lots of time with her. She will only be in the barn alone for the night. Thinking about camping out in the barn to comfort her. Any suggestions? Any toys recommended? And tips? Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
17,154 Posts
Is there a reason she can not be near the other horses at night in that paddock? Why is the day OK but not at night?

Is she kept alone currently or does she have other horses as company?

Often horses do better than their owners when in transit... or transient locations as this is going to be.
If that stall is adjoining the barn, open the door and let her do what she wants in or out as is her wish, not yours.

Make sure your horse is current on all her vaccinations needed local and for the other location as she can be exposed to different.
With the stress of upheaval from traveling, bring water from home for her to drink as she acclimates, her hay and her feed so less change is better for her.

I wouldn't worry about "stall toys" nor would I be giving her things she not have at home such as Lickits, cause intestinal distress is very possible since she will take cues from and you are a bundle of nerves and anxiety.
Your horse will have plenty to keep her occupied and alert as she settles in this temporary home to then return to her real home in a few days.
Enjoy taking her with you, but take a deep breath and try to lessen your anxiety level cause your horse reads you like a book.
If you are a nervous wreck, so shall the horse be on edge worse...
Breathe. Again. Breathe...
🐴...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
she is turned out alone and she is not always great with all other horses. She is mature and sort of independent, but she’s my baby and I want to make sure that she’s as happy as I am. I couldn’t live with myself if I made her unhappy. the stable that she would be in at night is down the street from the turnout paddock. there are not horses at the night time barn because the paddock is not on our property. Im not too nervous I just want to make sure she’s happy. I will be camping out in the barn the first few nights.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts