The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
593 Posts
wow hes only 3 !? Hes gorgeous ! hey can i ask , what is the purpose of long-lineing other than teaching to drive a cart . is there any?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
^ a lot of dressage people do it on their horses. Especially seen with the Lippizaners

your stallion is gorgeous!

·
Banned
593 Posts
hm maybe ill have to start a new thred i dont want to clog this one

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
long lining allows you to work with a horse that is not yet under saddle - teaching them to work with the bit, halt, trot and start to understand half halts long before a rider is on their back.

It also gets them used to things around their legs and back end when the lines get down there.

You can work on teaching straightness, yeilding and even piaffe and passage.

I started with longlining to give me space away from him in case he kicks out. The next level is long reining - where I will be a lot closer to him.

He is such a big guy - 17.2hh - so we will probably not be on his back until late summer or fall of 2010 - by then I should be able to drive him around the outside field at walk, trot, half halts and will understand some yeilding.

·
Registered
191 Posts
long lining allows you to work with a horse that is not yet under saddle - teaching them to work with the bit, halt, trot and start to understand half halts long before a rider is on their back.

It also gets them used to things around their legs and back end when the lines get down there.

You can work on teaching straightness, yeilding and even piaffe and passage.

I started with longlining to give me space away from him in case he kicks out. The next level is long reining - where I will be a lot closer to him.

He is such a big guy - 17.2hh - so we will probably not be on his back until late summer or fall of 2010 - by then I should be able to drive him around the outside field at walk, trot, half halts and will understand some yeilding.
I have always been interested in how you teach a horse to half halt when long lining. I taught my last colt to long line, walk, trot, transition down, halt, left and right. I took him around the neighborhood and by the schools and up and down the roads, but I have always been interested in how to teach them some of the more advanced stuff!

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
When I ground drive, I use the rings just below the top ring. I then pass the offside rein over the horse's back and drive that way. It puts the reins more at hand level. It also is easier to do trot and canter work as the offside rein isn't hitting the horse on the hock. As the horse gets better, you can easily do trot (and later canter) figure eights. I do lead changes through walk before I ever get on a horse's back.

You stand in the middle of the ring and drive from the side (like longing). To turn, you steer him a little towards the center of the circle and then turn him to the outside in a half turn. Lift your hands up and allow the reins to pass over the back. At trot and canter, you will have to run a little until the turn is finished, but that's all. You can drive all gaits that way without running behind the horse.

I am getting ready to start a young gelding soon. Maybe I can get someone to video this method, if anyone is interested. It will be in warmer weather, I ASSURE you!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would definitely be interested in seeing that. The method you describe sounds more like long reining? The reason I am longlining him is that I can stay at a safe distance for the initial training. We have had a few good double whammies when we started that just missed me so until I am sure he won't be doing that I will stay far behind.

Can't wait until you post the video.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Since it will be a while before I start this gelding, this video uses the same techniques I use, with only slight differences. Hope it helps. This spring, when I get this guy going, I'll post his starting in this, as the video horse has, obviously, been at it a while.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Long reining is a big part of our training program. It is very useful for working with remedial cases, where the horse can benefit from the direction and support, but it would be done best without the extra weight and added imbalance of a rider. I also use it on horses that I'm starting under saddle.

He is a nice horse, good luck with him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.