The Horse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first of all I just want to say hello to everyone since I'm new to this forum. My question is I went out and tried out a quarter horse mare that had been out to pasture for about 6 months. So I'm turn she was a little rusty in her riding. She seemed a bit sassy at first but settled down my only concern was her stop. It was a bit of a hit and miss kind of thing. The seller said she was a great trail horse when they rode her frequently. But for now they suggested time and a somewhat stronger bit until she gets back into the swing of things. She would be my first horse that I've owned and I see her potential but I would like some outsiders opinions. :)

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Hi there, it's really really hard to give you a good quality answer, how confident, experienced are you? Before you are asking the question it obviously isn't something that you feel 100% confident with, so maybe this isn't the horse for you.

My own feeling, a well broke horse that has sat for 6 months should not need bitting up to provide stopping power, they may well be rusty, they may need some miles, but I would not expect a bigger bit to be needed. Remember too if she has stood around, then she will be unfit, the fitter she gets, it could be that she is more forward than you want.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts