The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I LOVE polypads! They're very popular among the eventing crowd also. I only bought the single thickness, I didn't want too much "fluff" under my saddle.

The only downside is that they take a bit longer to dry if your horse gets really sweaty than a normal saddle pad would.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I LOVE polypads! They're very popular among the eventing crowd also. I only bought the single thickness, I didn't want too much "fluff" under my saddle.

The only downside is that they take a bit longer to dry if your horse gets really sweaty than a normal saddle pad would.

Thanks for the info! And I was looking at getting the single thickness for the same reason. My saddle fits nicely, and I have no need for extra bulk. As far as sweating, Doc seems to stay pretty dry, so that shouldn't be a problem...I hope. :lol:

How are they in the washing machine? Do they hold up okay?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Thanks for the info! And I was looking at getting the single thickness for the same reason. My saddle fits nicely, and I have no need for extra bulk. As far as sweating, Doc seems to stay pretty dry, so that shouldn't be a problem...I hope. :lol:

How are they in the washing machine? Do they hold up okay?
Yep, last summer I used mine ALOT and it was in the wash at least every 2 weeks, before our shows. Still looks brand new... Nunn Finer products are built to last :)

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Oh wow, that's a lot for a poly-pad. They really do not provide any shock absorption or protection for your horse's back. If you want something to prevent soreness and give some nice "cushion", I'd recommend a ThinLine pad or a Skito pad. Both are truly shock absorbing and last a LONG time. I have my first Skito pad that I got in 2002 and it's still going strong! My daughter has been using her ThinLine pad 3-5 days a week, plus another girl uses it, for the last two years and it still looks new!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh wow, that's a lot for a poly-pad. They really do not provide any shock absorption or protection for your horse's back. If you want something to prevent soreness and give some nice "cushion", I'd recommend a ThinLine pad or a Skito pad. Both are truly shock absorbing and last a LONG time. I have my first Skito pad that I got in 2002 and it's still going strong! My daughter has been using her ThinLine pad 3-5 days a week, plus another girl uses it, for the last two years and it still looks new!
Thanks for the suggestion. I remember looking at both ThinLine and Skito pads a while back, but for some reason I thought they were much more expensive than that. The only thing is, I am reluctant to use multiple saddle pads, as I've heard doing that can interrupt saddle fit. Perhaps I'm just being silly? It wouldn't be the first (or last) time.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I don't know about the pad, but all the Nunn Finer products that I have come in contact with have impressed me. I have a pair of their leathers on my saddle and I really like them.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
My old trainer used a few on her horses, and they seem like they worked great. I know she had them for a long time. It's pricey for a saddle pad tho. Not sure I would be willing to spend that much for a saddle pad :shock:

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Using thick pads can give saddle fitting troubles, but the ThinLine pad is only 1/4" thick, which is not enough to effect saddle fit. The Skito pad comes in a 1/2" thickness, which also will not effect saddle fit. The Skito pad's foam is a dense memory foam, so it conforms to the saddle and your horse's back as it warms up. The 1/2" pad I have works great for saddle that fit well.

The "full" Skito pads are pricey and the ThinLine pads that have any sheepskin or cotton quilt are expensive, but the "plain" half pads of both are pretty affordable.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I don't know about Nunn Finer pads, but some of their other products (I've seen in Dover) seem to be amazing quality.

I'm with luvs - those thin Thinline pads are great. :D I got one last year (contour pad) and use with the cheap cotton saddle pad. However you are right, they are more expensive than the one you posted.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I have a brand new still have tags Tamara Saddle pad. If you are interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.