The Horse Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

It's been years since I logged onto this forum - glad to have remembered there is a driving section here!

I have a 16.3 QH gelding that we're planning on showing at AQHA shows this summer. I've previously shown APHA but the size difference in the those horses combined with different equipment rules means I can't use my beautiful Smucker's harness. I would prefer to buy used so am looking for some recommendations for alternate harness makers that put out a very good quality product but for less $$ than some of the great makers like Hunt's or Freedman.

I need black, preferably rolled leather, breastcollar style, no breeching and an overcheck bridle. The check is required but needs to be long enough that it doesn't actually do anything ... so silly.

Thx!

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
So you need a fine harness? Are you sure you can't use what you have? Remove the breaching, add an over check? I just don't picture a qtr as a fine harness horse.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I just googled images and they had a sulky but none had an over check. I must say they looked odd with their heads way low, loose rein, and the drivers looked too far back.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Taffy Clayton has a very nice one for sale. There are a few pics posted on another thread under Driving. Look for one started by me, saddlebag.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
I DO have a fine harness for sale!!! It has been on a horse ONCE, for a winter show, did the class, figured out the mare needed to do carriage driving, went home.

It is a Walsh, now costs $2400 new, $1000.00. Has red accents. I also have a Jerald cart, black with red pinstripes...covers, etc., you can have the WHOLE set-up for 1500.00

Nancy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Unfortunately greentree's harness won't fit my guy. If anybody can recommend a good manufacturer (other than the really well known ones) or knows of a used fine harness to fit a 16.3 QH, please let me know.

Thx!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts