The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2 year old colt, that came up severely lame overnight. In the morning he was laying down with a swelled lower front leg. He did not want to walk on it and it continued to swell. we administered bute and banamine and by the next day Saturday Sept 10th after returning him home took his temp. 105 F.
we began injections of Penicillan 40 cc 2 x daily and banamine 2 x daily which brought his temp down to 101
Sunday (3rd day) we continued the penicillan & banamine. Temp was 100.2 F, We also administered 14cc of Exceed
Sunday began soaking in epsom salt water 20 minutes
Monday vet took several xrays, all appeared good, no broken bones
continued soaking in epsom salt water 30 minutes daily
Monday pm began him on Gentamicin and continued 7cc Banamine
Monday we applied a fairly tight wrap with granulated sugar/betadine poultice
Tuesday temp 102.2F - continued the 30 minute soak, Gentamicin, banamine and poultice wrap
Wednesday temp 100.6F - he walked into the barn willingly, putting a bit on weight on the foot. and after unwrapping found the leg had 2 blow outs near one another in the outside fetlock area above the hoof line. We continued the same - soaking, wrapping with poultice and banamine
Thursday temp 100.8F another blow out higher in the back of the leg, still below the knee. We continued the soaking, wrapping and banamine. administered Exceed again and continued with daily injections of Gentamicin
Friday am temp 101.7F and Friday pm temp 102.4F gave banamine
Saturday continued soaking, Gentamicin but no banamine, wrapped
Sunday temp 101.9F & 101.5
Monday temp 100.2 without banamine for 36 hours
has a lot of discomfort and does not put any weight on the leg. Started him on Equioxx and continue to soak daily for 30 minutes
applied Silver Honey to open would areas and Shriners spray.
allowing it to dry out or air out some during the day and wrap tightly at night
Tuesday am temp 101.4F will continue with soaking in epsom salt and apple cider vinegar water - apply shriners would spray and silver honey - Equioxx for comfort

my concern is he may still slough off the hoof....
Plant Grass Terrestrial animal Wood Foot
Leg Horse Human body Grass Plant

·
Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
1,258 Posts
How do you know its a snake bite? I would Not be wrapping that leg to tight, and the top sore looks like a pressure sore from wrapping being too tight. I agree looks like a cut from getting caught in some wire from what I can see in these pictures.

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
What has your vet said? Likely too late for antivenom. Looks like the bites I've seen. As for hoof sloughing you'll need vet and eventually farrier involved. I've had one that sloughed a hoof. It wasn't pretty and healing took forever. In the end the one hoof pancakes and the other clubbed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are open wounds as a result of blow outs. The 1st day of lameness only had swelling. Absolutely no cuts or obvious wounds. He was 100% the pm before.
That looks like a cut and nothing like a snake bite.
That looks like a cut and nothing like a snake bite.
please understand, the 1st morning of lameness only showed swelling. NO cuts, punctures or sores. the photos i submitted are after 3 blow outs due to swelling and infections
its being wrapped with a thick cotton batting and then vet wrap

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
When my mare got bit (Copperhead) her leg swelled up and looked like a post for a few days, we were lucky her skin didnt split. And didnt get infections like what you are showing..

·
Registered
16,325 Posts
Other than to tell you to continue to work with your vet and do as he instructs, I have no real good advice for you. When I lived in Tucson I had a colt bitten by a rattlesnake and we lost him, so no advice. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
What type of snakes are in your area? I would do what the Vet suggest. If there is a Vet school near you , perhaps see if they have other suggestions. You are lucky he has survived. I get my dogs rattle snake vaccines, and I know they have them for horses also .

·
Administrator
37,086 Posts
You need to protect it from flies who will irritate, spread infection and lay maggot producing eggs in the wounds, without heating the area too much that it will incubate the infection.

That is the downside of wrapping wounds in warm/hot weather

The wound needs to be regularly flushed clean, running water from a hose pipe on low pressure works better than sponge washing

I use a topical antibiotic cream for wounds like that, as well as injections- try the dry cow tubes, Tractor Supply sell them or you can buy online

A clay poultice that you spread over the wound might be better for drawing and protection from flies too - you can put some Swat on top of that

A mixture of Vaseline (petroleum jelly) and salt is good for nasty wounds and the flies hate the salt.

There is a wound cream that contains a fly repellent, I’ve used it a lot this summer for the nasty bug bites we’ve seen a lot of, but for the life of me, I can’t think what it’s called

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
There is a wound cream that contains a fly repellent, I’ve used it a lot this summer for the nasty bug bites we’ve seen a lot of, but for the life of me, I can’t think what it’s called
If you remember, can you post it? I'd love to get something like that...

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Just curious did the Vet pull the shoe? I hope he has a fast recovery, his wounds look really bad. I would do a follow up of SMZ tablets after you done with the Penicillan, I have always had good luck using this Antibiotic when needed.

·
Administrator
37,086 Posts
If you remember, can you post it? I'd love to get something like that...
I’ll look when I go up to the barn, I’ve been using it on a mare who must have got a small splinter in a spot on her quarters where I just couldn’t cover it, we thought it was a swelling from a kick but it blew a huge abscess.

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
Could it be Swat that you used @jaydee, its comes in a cream for wounds and keeps flys away also..
I thought you weren't supposed to put Swat directly on a wound?

Reactions: My Salty Pony

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
@ginnygansen I don't have any advice about the snakebite protocol per se, but I'd say go ahead and start giving your horse some extra calories and tasty feed now. One of the horses at my barn was bitten by a snake and lost a ton of weight. He looked terrible. And when my Moonshine was injured, the vet recommended starting to give her a little alfalfa because he's seen lots of injured horses like that drop weight really quickly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts