Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ya,

I'm wondering if anyone has used a ulcer product called "SmartGut" through SmartPac??? I have a young horse that has turned up with having ulcers. And really liked the ingredients in this product and it had very good reveiws that I have read.

Was wondering if anyone has any feedback for me on you personally using it.

Thank you.:)

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
I started using it about two weeks ago after a one month course of the wicked expensive Gastro Guard. I'm using SmartGut as a preventive. I cannot vouch for it's effectiveness for treating ulcers since it's only been two weeks, but for some reason it's increased my TB's ablility to gain weight. It's colder than heck outside, and that's the only food related change I've made in the past few months, so that's all I can attribute it to. I'm guessing the probiotics part of it got all of his flora and fauna balanced out so now his body is finally processing food correctly. So yes, I love the stuff.

·
Registered
301 Posts
:)I have a horse with ulcer problems. I have not used this particular product - my Vet recommended Nutri Buffer and it has worked well for my guy. I would imagine since SmartGut comes from SmartPac, it is a quality product. You could always check with your Vet for advice on an ulcer
medication.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alternative

I have heard great things about SeaBuck Complete. It is more of a preventative than a cure, but keeps the ph level of the stomach in check so ulcers don't form or increase in severity if they are already present.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
These types of products are acid buffers just like TUMS, they lower the acidity of the stomach contents for short periods of time. This is great for reducing the symptoms of pain that tend to be associated with feeding times because the concentrate feeds are irritating. However, they just cover the symptoms without actually dealing with the problem. They buffer acid for less than an hour and thats not enough time to allow the stomach mucosa to heal.

These aren't "drugs" either, they are supplements which means that they haven't had the extensive safety and efficacy testing required by the FDA for something to be classified as a drug.

So these products are cheaper and can stop the colic episodes associated with eating (typically why you want to top dress the feed with these because that's when they are needed) but they aren't a substitute for the actual drugs that lower acidity for hours at a time and actually allow the ulcerated areas of the stomach lining to heal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.