The Horse Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
How can anyone possibly know if a horse is "the one" from a video? A video only shows what the person taking the video wants you to see. I might see a video of a superbly broke horse, everything I would ever want, and go out and actually ride it and find an issue I didn't know was there. And that's a broke horse. Most babies are going to look awesome in a video. :wink:
:iagree:

I was kind of wondering the same thing. How do you know that a horse is "the one"--even a broke horse--from pics and a video? Methinks it's just because he's pretty. Pretty does not a good horse make.

There's a 10yo gelding on my local Craigslist for sale right now. He's listed as a prospect and is a beautiful chestnut paint. The video of him being round penned shows a very nice mover, especially for WP. I know someone who went out to check him out. She's an experienced horse person, so I trust her. She text me when she got back and said "That horse is completely bat-crap crazy!! I wouldn't touch him for FREE!" Just looking at his ad, pics and video, you'd think he would be "the one."

·
Registered
673 Posts
Just wanted to throw in another vote for no... I really hope you listen to what everyone said and don't do it, for so many reasons.

You can bond with older ones, you can have a great relationship with an older one. An older one will bring you so much joy, because you will be able to trail ride it now, instead of essentially watching it graze in the pasture for three years. Being green to horses, you will be limited in what you can do with it, and you take the risk of it learning tons of bad habits from your interactions, meaning you will need to pay someone else to do nearly all its training. So any "bonding" will be done by the trainer.

Get an older one, spend time enjoying it, learn more about horses and training, and you will have a much, much better time.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My opinion would get a been there done that horse. Something you can take lessons on and enjoy riding now.

To get a good trail horse it is going to take years on that colt.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Don't listen to other people's opinions, those are a dime a dozen ....if you want it, go for it. Just be smart about it, that's my advice. Never assume anything that may put you or someone else in harms way, ie jumping on this horse bareback etc. That being said, I'm here for you in every way. If you have any questions, -even if I don't know the perfect answer- I'm here for you. Good luck and I say go for it!
How much experience do you have with youngsters to be able to say 'go for it?'

OP - I lov my youngsters but although they are a joy, they make you pull out every tool from the experience box to get them through problems. There is only so much the trainer can teach the horse, the rest is up to you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This 'horse' is a year old colt, why would you even think that the OP would do such a thing? And if you think that it is a likelihood, then to support the purchase would be downright reckless.....

I've seen people do really dumb things...this is one of them. It ended badly, but she lived, I suppose, to gain some wisdom.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts