The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do do do do.
Hey everyone ;)

today i am home, of course some already know from an ear infection.
Anyway's i got to goto the dollar store and i picked up some Oil Pastel's ( i havent daddled with these in AGES )
And some Water Color Tubes.

Any tips for me ;) I would really appreciate it, im not sure exactly what i am going to be doing yet.... but i will be doing something ! i cant wait to get started haha :D

Also this is going to be sounding like a N00B Question, but... how in the EARTH do you blend pastels ? im thinking maybe using a Q-tip?

·
Registered
658 Posts
well, I have no personal experience with watercolors, but I did buy a watercolor set a while ago and have yet to actually paint with them. But I was advised by many people that when using watercolors to always start light and go darker from there. You can always go darker as needed, but one you lay down a layer of paint, you can never go lighter (if that makes any sense). I will have to be very careful of that when I try them out.

As far as oil pastels go, I have a very old and probably very cheap set that I have only used a couple times. I personally don't like them very much because of their bulky nature and my inability to do fine detail work, but I have found them to be a great source of anger management...lol. I was extrememly depressed one night over the loss of my horse and just scribbled away, really pressing hard into the paper. I found it much better to just let loose and draw hard that to spend a ton of time adding light layers. I just added one thick layer over another and although less "real" looking, the drawing had some really cool vibrant color layering going on.

As far as blending oil pastels, your guess is as good as mine. I tried using q-tips on my first attempt, but rubbing too light didn't do anything and rubbing too hard just removed the pigment from the paper, leaving a bland colorless area. There might be some way to soften the oil pastels with a turpentine like substance as with oil paints, but I am just pulling that idea out of my bum. I have never used turpentine for anything. I just know it's used to soften oil paints as water to acrylics. You may want to ask a more experienced person about this. All I know is that i had no success with Q-tips. I just scribbled away to get somewhat blending effects.

If you discover ways to enhance either your oil pastel or watercolor paintings, please share them. I am alway looking for advice with new materials.

good luck and please share your artwork with us when you are finished!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts