The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently begun riding again after about 10 years when I had riding lessons as a kid. The horse I'm riding is owned by my fiancees sister, and while she is very experienced with horses, I'm a little concerned about this particular horse.

She's been allowed to get quite overweight and I've also noticed her poos are quite soft, she was in a paddock with a lot of grass, but has recently been moved to another with less feed. She won't canter when I ride her, her trot is very unenthusiastic, and she doesn't pick up her feet too well and stumbles frequently. She also has some cracks running up her hooves even though she had her feet done recently. Her owner puts her laziness down to her being overweight, but I'm concerned that she could be in pain, either from her feet or even from her excess weight. I don't know if I should be riding her, but she obviously does need exercise. We have talked about me buying her, she would be my first horse, but I don't want to make that kind of commitment on a horse with potential health problems. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
You say she stumbles, is she actually lame? Does she have shoes on or is she barefoot? Are her feet hot and does she show pain if you tap on the hoof walls or apply firm pressure to the sole?
From her being so overweight and her diet of abundant grass, it sounds like she could have laminitic problems. Can you take photos of her feet and a whole body shot and post them? There are lots of experts here who can help you (although I'm not one of them!) if you can provide
more details.
Good luck with her. It sounds like she could do with some help.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
49,754 Posts
gotta see pics of cracks in feet to know if they are serious or not.

big belly, lack of energy could mean worms.

being in pain could be seen better by her stance (she would be rocked back off her front feet, angled back onto her rear) or in evidence of a limp when moving.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.