The Horse Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
My black horse is very silly and handsome. He is hard to train most of the time.
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy there, I am getting these 2 used saddles and want to attach saddle strings to the saddle in the front and the back. I know nothing about attaching saddle strings to a saddle that doesn't have saddle strings already attached, and I don't even know how domed or solid conchos attach, or how a slotted concho attaches. Can anyone help?
Thanks

I
Chair Dog Luggage and bags Bag Fawn

Wood Gas Art Automotive design Machine

Human body Wood Motor vehicle Table Art

·
Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
1,217 Posts
Take it to a saddle shop and have them add the saddle strings for you, saddle strings are a bit harder to add since the saddle skirt's leather needs to have slots cuts into them to be able to add saddle strings and since this is a double skirted saddle it will have to be taken apart. Concho's screw into the leather, you have to unscrew the concho to get them off the saddle.

·
Registered
My black horse is very silly and handsome. He is hard to train most of the time.
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That is very helpful. I found this: Saddle Strings 1/2 saddle strings and this: Saddle String Clip & Dee saddle string clip dee that I thought that I might be able to slide the hole under the concho post or whatever that is then screw the concho back in and then attach the saddle strings to the dee. For attaching saddlebags or a rope or bedroll or whatever. Saddle strings are very useful!

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Thanks! That is very helpful. I found this: Saddle Strings 1/2 saddle strings and this: Saddle String Clip & Dee saddle string clip dee that I thought that I might be able to slide the hole under the concho post or whatever that is then screw the concho back in and then attach the saddle strings to the dee. For attaching saddlebags or a rope or bedroll or whatever. Saddle strings are very useful!
I have seen those dee's that you can attach to the concho's I think that would work for you if not tying heavy things to your saddle. Most of the saddle that you see that have the heavy strings are built with the strings instead of conchos. But I like having the dees they can come in handy on long trail rides, in fact some of my barrel saddles have these Dee's too, didnt think about those untill you brought them up, ha ha ha ha..
But yes just unscrew the conchos, they can be really hard sometimes and I have cut my thumps up on conchos getting them off but they will come off just might take some elbow grease, sometimes I would have to get my husband to help with the conchos getting them off. Have fun I change out my conchos on my saddles when I dont like the looks of the old one, are when cleaning saddles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I don't think that I would be attaching VERY heavy things, just saddlebags full of stuff I don't know how heavy they would be. Maybe I had better think about how heavy I make them when camping. How heavy do you think it would be safe to put on there?

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Thanks! I don't think that I would be attaching VERY heavy things, just saddlebags full of stuff I don't know how heavy they would be. Maybe I had better think about how heavy I make them when camping. How heavy do you think it would be safe to put on there?
I think if you use heavier leather strings and make sure the conchos are going to stay tight to where they dont back out, you'll be ok. just keep an eye on the strings and conchos, you dont want one side to break and the other side to hold, this may be a scary thing if one side breaks and the bag is hanging by one string over the side of your horse, could cause your horse to spook. Just be carefull with how you pack, :giggle:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think if you use heavier leather strings and make sure the conchos are going to stay tight to where they dont back out, you'll be ok. just keep an eye on the strings and conchos, you dont want one side to break and the other side to hold, this may be a scary thing if one side breaks and the bag is hanging by one string over the side of your horse, could cause your horse to spook. Just be carefull with how you pack, :giggle:
Yeah, I can see how that would be scary. I am glad that my horse is not spooky with that sort of things so he would probably not be scared about that but still a good idea to keep an eye on it. Hopefully the conchos don't come out when I pack. My horse below: He's so handsome

Horse Working animal Grass Wood Terrestrial animal

Horse Working animal Sky Tree Plant

Horse Head Sky Eye Working animal

·
Super Moderator
10,923 Posts
I've done it to a few saddles.

I like the slotted ponchos so I use a drill to start my holes. Cut one slot through the fleece with a knife. Get my strings above the fleece, pulling the strings really tight from above. I use a pliers. Then, I cut a slit in each strap above the conch and braid them through each other a couple times.

I have said naughty words when I messed up my slices in the leather above the ponchos. Happened twice.

If you're just packing light, though, the D-rings ought to work fine. If they don't you can change later.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! I might try that. Yes, I know how awful it can be to mess up a cut in a leather strap that happened when I tried to replace a billet strap and the cut went wrong and that was the only piece of leather that I had for that.

·
Super Moderator
10,923 Posts
Thank you! I might try that. Yes, I know how awful it can be to mess up a cut in a leather strap that happened when I tried to replace a billet strap and the cut went wrong and that was the only piece of leather that I had for that.
So frustrating. I've done that too. I now measure twice on stirrup leathers and billets and use a drill on them, too

I'm sitting here thinking I may have ruined more leather over the years than I have successfully used to fix things! :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Love the pictures of your horse, and he is very handsome and Black, you dont really see that many really Black horses. I hope your trail riding adventures are fun and safe and so glad that we could help you out, if any more questions just ask I'll try my best to answer for you or someone else can.. Happy trails to ya. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Love the pictures of your horse, and he is very handsome and Black, you dont really see that many really Black horses. I hope your trail riding adventures are fun and safe and so glad that we could help you out, if any more questions just ask I'll try my best to answer for you or someone else can.. Happy trails to ya. :)
Thanks for the compliments! Yes I love him and one of his nicknames is " Handsome".
Thanks, I will be safe. Happy riding! 😊

1 - 12 of 12 Posts