The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Thumper does the exact same thing. There was something similar to a clinic at my barn that I rode in with him, and the instructor told me to use the 10 meter circles. If he reverts back to how he was before, circle again, making sure to bend him around your inside leg (without letting him pop his outside shoulder). After a while, most horses get the picture :p. I would only use spurs if you have quiet legs and good control over your legs. They can be great if used correctly :).
Are you absolutely sure that you aren't contributing to the issue at all? I know that if I'm not riding correctly and effectively, Thumper will revert back to sticking his nose out. I also use a lot of 15m/20m circles with quite a bit of inside leg to outside rein and a bit of pressure on the inside rein to encourage him to give to the pressure.
When he sticks his nose out and pops his belly in, make sure that you don't lose your outside rein. That's an issue that I have (I'm working on it!). I think that since his nose is to the outside, I can correct it with inside rein, and forget to keep contact with my outside rein, also. I'm sure other people will have good responses; I'm looking forward to seeing what ideas other people use!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.