The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
alright, ive always had a little bit of a hard time keeping my horse, sully, looking to the inside, but since i took a break from riding him while i leased another horse it has gotten to be a really bad problem. I noticed that when i ask for the trot on the right diagonal, he sticks his stomach in and looks to the outside, as if hes trying to get away with not trotting. now, when were trotting on the left diagonal, he looks to the outside ith his tummy in again, so you cont correct his position with the reins. so far ive been trying to correct him with leg pressure, but he dosnt respod to it at the trot. i dont use spurs, and ive been thinking about using a dressage whip, but he hates them. i have also been trotting him in 10 meter circles to try to get his head on right, but he just goes back to his original position. any ideas of what to do!?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks yall! he really responds to circles and serpentines. ive also decided to go with the dressage whip as a tool cause he tends to ignore my aids when he feels like being silly. arnz: yeah, i was recently riding a really sensitive (amazing) tb while i was off sully and he didnt have any problems with it. and i know what you mean about using spurs correctly, at my barn a mom gave her 10 year old some and frankly i dont think she should be using them. I also think he needs to build up some muscle on both sides evenly, seeing as hes had such a long break with minimal riding (once a week- IF that) thanks everyone for the advice!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.