The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow equestrians!!
So I’ve been riding since I was 4 and I’m almost 15 now. I haven’t had a trainer in a while now as they left the barn I’m at and it’s a small barn so there isn’t a trainer anymore. I still ride and I’ve been riding 3 times a week usually but I cannot keep my feet in my stirrups when I’m going into the canter and sometimes when I’m the canter. I’ve never had this issue before but in the last month it’s been an issue for me. I’ve ridden bareback and my feet don’t move, and they don’t move when I loose my stirrups, any advice as to what’s going on and how I can fix it?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would suspect the way your wrapping your legs is taking your weight out of your stirrups.
You could subconsciously be curling your legs around the barrel as if you’re bareback. You’re also probably still getting taller and might need to adjust your stirrup length so your leg position is correct for dropping your heels.
One exercise that helps me get my legs in a good position is posting three strides/sitting three strides on repeat. You can’t get back into your post well if your legs are shifting when you “sit”
Then add a your canter pickups. Even just a few strides and back down to a trot to help you keep position and weight through your heels

·
Premium Member
23,918 Posts
Agree with above. Perhaps your stirrups could be raised a hole. ...but perhaps, with you growing, they're too short. I also find that different saddles 'balance' the rider differently & so you can have a harder/easier time sitting well. Eg Westerns and a lot of Aussie Stock saddles put you in a more 'chair seat' position, with your feet just in front of you, so you have to (kind of) lurch forward, not just up, when you rise to the trot - which can also cause nasty rubs/pinches to your calves from the stirrup leathers, unless they're wide. I mostly trailride, but I ride in a Dressage saddle, because that gives me the best balance.

46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would suspect the way your wrapping your legs is taking your weight out of your stirrups.
You could subconsciously be curling your legs around the barrel as if you’re bareback. You’re also probably still getting taller and might need to adjust your stirrup length so your leg position is correct for dropping your heels.
One exercise that helps me get my legs in a good position is posting three strides/sitting three strides on repeat. You can’t get back into your post well if your legs are shifting when you “sit”
Then add a your canter pickups. Even just a few strides and back down to a trot to help you keep position and weight through your heels
Okay, I will definitely be doing those exercises! Thank you. It definitely is more of a challenge to try and correct my riding when there isn’t someone on the ground telling me what I’m doing wrong. Is there a certain way to make sure my stirrups are the right length?

·
Premium Member
23,918 Posts
Stirrups the right length... 'right length' is a bit subjective to the saddle & how you're riding, but basically, you want the stirrups slightly above where your heels naturally hang to, so you can put toes in the stirrups but your legs will still hang naturally & your toes won't be forced up high in relation to heels.

46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stirrups the right length... 'right length' is a bit subjective to the saddle & how you're riding, but basically, you want the stirrups slightly above where your heels naturally hang to, so you can put toes in the stirrups but your legs will still hang naturally & your toes won't be forced up high in relation to heels.
Okay thank you!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Good advice above. I used to have this issue and it was because I had my heels down too deep which basically locks the ankle and voids any shock absorption you have in your ankles. Now I think weight on the ball of my foot and even heels up (they aren't really up but it feels like it at first). No longer lose my stirrups with this change.

46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I finally was able to ride today and it ended up that my stirrups were to long and the second I fixed them it felt way better. I did those trotting exercises and I was able to do them and they definitely helped especially when I did canter transitions so now I just have to work on the horse transitioning quicker lol. Thank you all so much for your help!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts