The Horse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 11 y/o TB has been losing hair around her eyes and a little bit on the rest of her face. I think it might be from her fly mask because she wears it so often (the flies are REALLY bad here and I feel bad just letting them sit on her face all day). Is there a way to prevent this, or do I just have to wait till "fly season" is over and her hair can grow back?

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
It probably is the fly mask between rubbing and sweating. You can kind of tell. I would think that a little lost hair is better than flies walking all over their faces all of the time. As long as it's not getting rubbed raw.

Unfortunately, mine won't keep the dang things on. I stopped putting them on once a couple of them were found by the mower blades and I got yelled at, (uh, talked to about them rather).

·
Registered
10,937 Posts
Leave the fly mask on:). Agree with @LoriF a little loss of hair from rubbing is far better than flies gathering around the eyes and possibly causing infection:)

My horses always lose hair under their eyes and some on their cheeks this time of year, from rubbing. It will grow back quickly.

Just watch to be sure there aren’t any raw spots - if there are, a thin glaze of human triple antibiotic ointment will work to heal it up and the hair will still come back:)

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I went through about 4 fly masks before I found one where the eye parts wouldn't squish down and stick onto their eye - this really annoyed me and definitely bothered mine. Once that was sorted then all good. Second thing was making sure was well covered with fly spray as she was squashing the mask rubbing her legs with her face. Thirdly I personally would make sure to thoroughly disinfect and wash the mask regularly and maybe see if there is an ointment to soothe around the eyes to help with the itching? Fourthly... heh... I hate the half masks that have a gap. Flies always went in them. I found the one with the nose pieces stopped that entirely. I even looked at the form fitting ones! Good luck. I think we all hate flies and I'm in a "good" zone... :<

·
Registered
10,937 Posts
Yes, to washing the masks as @Kalraii commented. I wash fly masks in the washer after every wearing.

I have 4 sets for two horses so I don’t have to wash them every night and also in case someone loses one, which is rare <—- probably not, now that I said that, lol

·
Registered
17,343 Posts
Don't sweat it! My horse loses her fur on her face & near her eyes in the summertime. I haven't needed to put the fly mask on her lately (surprisingly), but she's always had this happen in the summer. It's pretty common!

I think it's just the heat. You can keep the fly mask on, it may help, but it'll grow back! :) Pic so you can see mine.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts