The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any help would be appreciated. On long hilly trail rides I use a breastcollar to keep my saddle forward. The problem I have been having is that my saddle pad slides so far back it almost comes out the back of my saddle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does your saddle pad have girth loops and straps that strap to the buckles under the saddle flap?

If not then invest in one and it should solve all the problems, it just keeps the pad nicely centered underthe saddle!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
ah right. hmmmm... perhaps a gel pad under the saddle? I've never used one western but I'm sure they can be used. They are made of gel and go under the saddle pad and sorta hold it there.

I've used one once and it was pretty effective, but that was on an english saddle. However I'm sure you could use one for western :) if all else fails

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Check your saddle fit. My friend has that same problem occasionally on her gaited horse. The horse's shoulder action is what ends up shoving her pad back. There's been times when I would find her saddle pad on the trail! She gets a fitter out and they adjust the saddle around the front, near the shoulders.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I will try it all. Very desperate. Am thinking of slicing slits in saddle pad to run through breastcollar. I seem to be the only one with this problem. I ride a Missouri foxtrotter and he does have big shoulders.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Interesting post. We have a smallish arab gelding that over steps with his hind feet by more than 12". You can cover a lot of ground with this little guy but he has a lot of body motion when you are traveling. We have to adjust his saddle pad from time to time through the day as it squirts out the back.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Thanks everyone. I will try it all. Very desperate. Am thinking of slicing slits in saddle pad to run through breastcollar. I seem to be the only one with this problem. I ride a Missouri foxtrotter and he does have big shoulders.
FWIW, my friend's gaited horse that tosses her saddle pad is also a MFT. Bravest horse I've ever met!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Instead of putting slits in your pad are you able to stitch on a couple of strings that could be used to tie to your saddle? Also, I don't know what type of pad you're using but with mine, I have noticed that the ones with a "slicker" cover such as a cotton/polyester material tend to a life of their own; I have not had the same difficulties with my felt or fuzzy ones.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Instead of putting slits in your pad are you able to stitch on a couple of strings that could be used to tie to your saddle? Also, I don't know what type of pad you're using but with mine, I have noticed that the ones with a "slicker" cover such as a cotton/polyester material tend to a life of their own; I have not had the same difficulties with my felt or fuzzy ones.
I am using a wool felt pad, very good quality. I have also tried a tacky too (did not like). I will decide what to do tomorrow. I will post what worked.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.