The Horse Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hullo People! From some of my other posts you might know a bit about my mare and my feeling towards her. It’s been about 3 weeks since I’ve ridden her but my dad has been riding her in that time. I got on her feeling really confident after seeing her behave well for my dad. I asked her to move off gently, she’s super soft off my legs, and she was fine. Maybe after ten strides she got really tense so I started talking to her and petting her, she broke into a toy and braces against my hands and wouldn’t slow down. I had to turn her to a fence to get her to stop. Once I had her under control I asked her to move again and she started bucking, when she stopped she kept her ears back and her tail swishing. I don’t understand, she’s perfect for my dad. The rest of the ride I could basically only ride her in small circles other wise she’d buck and bolt. Sh was like this on my first ride too but for my dad who’s less experienced than me she was fine. I don’t know why she was like that for me, j wasn’t confident enough to walk her in a straight line or even a bigger circle. Once she calmed down a bit and stopped swishing her tail I got off. On the ground she is great for me apart from while racking up and getting on she is spinning around making it really hard to do stuff. She’s hood on the lunge and to lead apart from sometimes she’ll try push ahead of me. I guess we really don’t like each other. I was going to ride her in the round pen but my mum wanted my pony kicked in there because he eat some weeds and mum didn’t want him to spread it. What should I do to gain confidence with her? Should I just leave her to be my dads horse? I don’t know what to do with her because I get no joy from doing anything with her. Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I so desperately want to send her to a proper trainer but I don’t have enough money. She’s too much for me, I wanted my next horse to be chill and experienced not tense and green. The reason I wanted a new horse was because my current horse is getting old and I’d like to do more riding and now I’ve been set back. I don’t feel that I can do much with my mare without a proper trainer or coach to help me

·
Registered
175 Posts
It would probably help if we saw a video of each. A thought though, how does your dad saddle her versus you? Curious about saddle fit since she acted up so soon.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dad does it the same as me. Saddle pad a bit too far forward, saddle in that, slide then back together, pull the saddle pad up into gullet, girth on right, girth on left, boots then bridle. The main difference between how I ride vs dad is that dad rides in a chair seat and I ride in the “proper” position. I tried riding in chair seat to see if that would change anything but it didnt

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve had two people look at her saddle fit and say it’s good but I don’t think it is. I’ve asked dad to look into getting her a new saddle but he said no because the saddle stays on (barely) we tried multiple of my coaches saddles and since she is basically a barrel they would just slip. I also reckon her saddle is too big for her, I use it in mh long backed QH but this mare has a short back.

I dknt have any photos of her without the saddle pad unfortunately, I’ll have to do that tomorrow

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Probably your dad sits relaxed and you have tension. Your cues seem to be bothering her. Is it possible you are squeezing, gripping, pulling on the reins or not following with your seat? Try relaxing and keeping your legs off to see how she does. Make sure if you give a cue, you release immediately after.
It doesn't look like there is a saddle fit issue from that one picture.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My legs were completely off although I was probably tense. I’ll try again next time to replace more

·
Registered
726 Posts
How would you feel if you have a horse than when you ride it, it is an enjoyable ride, but every time your dad rides it, the horse becomes unglued?

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’d feel pretty bad for my dad. Jakes like that. He likes ladies riding him not men

1 - 9 of 9 Posts