The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if you've been following the thread but; Can we revert to old format? Where are rules? I suggest you get onto it urgently if you don't want to lose a heap of members.

I've been finding it hard myself - the differences are mostly something we will just get used to, in the small play I've had, but the format of the written pages - WHITE EVERYWHERE background, small text, etc are really... yucky for me too - seen a number of others finding it too bad.

I will be sad if this forum dies(& frankly, miffed at you guys for killing it), just because tech people felt like a change & didn't bother considering what's good, bad or otherwise about what they have done.

Registered
Dark mode gets rid of the white.
I'm looking at the forum on a 1440p screen and the text isn't small for me, but I really dislike the "buy a premium membership" nonsense that's being pushed at me constantly and I miss the "latest posts" sidebar.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #3
I thought this was the section that went straight to the tech support mob, didn't realise it went on the public forum.

Blue, I can't stand the 'dark mode' - it's way worse for my eyes to look at white writing on a black background.

Perhaps I don't get 'pushed' for the premium membership because I'm a mod. Don't know, just haven't seen it myself. There should be an option to say 'quit asking' if you've said no to premium membership.

Registered
I agree Loosie, I feel as though I am going cross-eyed trying to read the pages, in both light and dark mode. I am finding myself not wanting to come here but only because I get a headache trying to read the screen. 馃槙

Registered
My biggest complaint is the missing sidebar that had the new posts. I find it hard to find new posts, other than on the main page that has a handful. But if I go to the "Forums" section, I have to click on each one to see if the latest ones are something I've already read. I just miss that sidebar.......

The white seems less bright today, I don't know if they've toned it down or it's the lighting in the room I'm in. But it's a bit better.

Super Moderator
My page may look different because I am a mod and always in "mod mode"....

To address not seeing "new" posts...my page top right side has a NEW blurb thingy if you click it all the new posts appear...
Now beware, it is posts going back over 10 years currently I've also found so be careful what you click and what you comment to that it is recent threads...all threads/posts still have a activity date to them.

I have yet to have ads be placed in between posts but I run an ad-blocker continuously and it is getting a workout to say the least so yes, ads have greatly increased...that pays the cost of the forum running as this is a business or we members would be paying yearly subscription fees for sure. 馃槙

I too am not happy with the changes, but you either learn to live with them or ..............
Elsewhere is not a option for all to do nor want to do.

The forum owners have heard and surely are reading threads and the complaints made...
Concerns are being addressed and worked on and there are many glitches, gremlins as I call them happening.
I'm not against wanting of the old to return although I wish it could but being realistic, this change has been occurring slowly everytime updates were done a bit at a time...
The final changeover is a doozy though and so many huge changes more than a bit overwhelming for most of us to get to like and use easily.
I don't know where the numerous complaints are going to land...hopefully with a meet in the middle of old and new as the old layout and program system had some issues of its own many were not aware of that would go bump in the night, crash, boom....dang and the site would get stuck and go down if you remember.
I truly hope somehow a middle is found and members are happy and able to navigate and post as usual...right now, I feel like a bunch of blind mice trying to figure stuff out running in circles and suddenly you pop through a threshhold but not sure how you did it or if you can do it again is occurring..
Me too...stumbling and fumbling around so can't offer much but the mods are experiencing difficulties too, all of us.
So with that...if you see something wrong in posts or threads, rule breakers as you all know how to post in the forum guidelines please let us know as we too are learning to navigate this place a new and may not have caught up to it yet...thanks. 馃槈

hlg..

Registered
I do think that they could add maybe some more customization in regards to dark mode - like a "sepia mode" would better suit me as well as I'm sure many here. It's what I use to read on my kindle and phone as well.

I think overall though the changes are OK. Did the old site work? Yes. Will this one? Once our eyes know where to look and how to navigate I'm certain it'll be fine. I have every faith that long standing members have the perseverance to learn this new format... I mean we persevere with our horses and how much do THEY struggle to learn things too? :p馃樀

I have to agree that the two things I'd like to change/have back are follows:

1. MAJOR - additional viewing colours especially something along the lines of sepia like many sites/apps have. Background similar to old site with black writing. Something a bit easier on the eyes. Or even just customization in our settings. Sepia and maybe a muted white.
  2. MINOR - sidebar with new posts. I DO like the new button on the top right but it was so easy to just hit refresh on current page like before. It is a lazy desire IMO but you only know how convenient it is when taken away. I will say though that usually I end up down a rabbit hole BECAUSE of how accessible new posts used to be. Now I don't have the eye-catching "omg i FELL off the mounting block" to suck me in...
  3. MINOR - Emoticons - I tried searching for the original ones. They truly were part of the forums identity I think and it would be great to have them back in addition with the huge selection of new 馃挏 More horse related ones as well ^>^ 馃悥馃悗馃悇馃悅馃悆馃馃馃悹馃悺

I will say the site does look fresh but it was a wild adjustment!

Registered
I think of this change as another turd on the pile of crap that is 2020. I don't think we have a choice other than to leave or learn to live it with it, the old forum is sadly gone for good.

Registered
I like the new format. It is calmer and more soothing for me. I found the old site visually loud and busy with color and ads. The ads are less intrusive now. Yes kind of a pain that they are in the thread, but you soon learn to just pass over them. I think it looks more modern now too. Functionality wise, I find it much the same.

Registered
I now know why those several years old posts are showing up with new comments added to them.

They are appearing as Recommended Reading underneath current posts that the software deems relevant.

I am sure that not-so-brilliant idea is built into the software and it鈥檚 going to continue to be an issue, if the programmers can鈥檛 find a way to shut it off.

We don鈥檛 need 鈥渞ecommended reading鈥 when it pulls up threads that are more than 12 months old 鈥 and even 12 months is too old, IIMHO. That鈥檚 what Search is for, even if Search does mean someone has to work a little harder to find relevant threads.

@loosie or any mod, feel free to send this on to someone who might be able to disable 鈥淩ecommended Reading鈥.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #13
@loosie or any mod, feel free to send this on to someone who might be able to disable 鈥淩ecommended Reading鈥.
Aha, I hope they're already reading this thread, which is after all, in the tech support section - I didn't even realise this would be public - thought it ONLY went to them when I started the thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts