The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOL, nothing like falling in love, but yeah, what would you wear it for?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
It's a rail jacket, something you could wear all day at a local show from showmanship, pleasure, horsemanship, and trail. At upper levels you would want something different for showmanship and horsemanship, but one would usually wear these all day when the western events all very close together.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
It's a rail jacket, something you could wear all day at a local show from showmanship, pleasure, horsemanship, and trail. At upper levels you would want something different for showmanship and horsemanship, but one would usually wear these all day when the western events all very close together.
Interesting (really)....so you would just slip it on over a t-shirt or the like after you've finished grooming and tacking up and then you're ready to go???

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Chevaux do you think the good folk of Saskatchewan would be skeered by this?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Hey Chevaux do you think the good folk of Saskatchewan would be skeered by this?
I'm afraid to say with the right crowd - they would:shock:. Seriously, it is a lovely design and if it was reworked in the collar and sleeves, it could be worn to rural oriented Christmas parties and such as well horse shows.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
:rofl::rofl: you mean the dressage judge in an English event may not like it
Well...eventers do like showing off personality..
Hmm. We should bribe someone to do it!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Not reining, at least around here. You have to "earn" bling, and that is considered bling. So, WP, showmanship, those kinds of things……;-)

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting franknbeans are you saying that you would be marked down for a great pattern, in the wrong clothes? I have no clue about the various levels and subtleties of western show gear, which is why am asking, I need a 'one shirt does all solution' The girlie that exists somewhere inside me is going "Oooh sparkly thing, pretty colors, me want" the old, fat, untalented woman is screaming "ARE YOU MAD woman, you need all over black, and hide behind someone else so they don't see your miserable self and laugh"

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
No, not likely you will get marked down, but you may find you are the only one with that much bling. I tend to stick with belts…….and the Miss Me jeans, with, as my daughter says-jeweled wings on my ***! But, I have a plain shirt in nearly every color to match the Yucca Flats pads. :) Just no really blingy shirt. You can wear a scarf tho-those are in fashion at the moment.

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know that both the English and Western world is full of potential tack and clothing faux pas for the idiot on horse back, but in events like reining, barrel racing, poles, as long as your tack is legal, does REALLY matter what the rider wears?

I'm trying to think of English events where the riders clothes don't matter, and I'm struggling. What would happen if I turned up in a blingy rail shirt to ride a dressage test, would you get refused entry, marked down?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Adding on to Golden's questions, would that style of shirt be OK if it wasn't blinged out?

And to Golden, I think it is next to impossible to come up with something in the English world that doesn't matter as it is so steeped in tradition. The closest thing to 'casual' that comes to mind for me is the cross country part of three day eventing - there seems to be some latitude in the tops that are worn (but not much).

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Golden, I can think of no equestrian occasions on which I would wear it, but I most definitely would have it in my wardrobe to go with a nice pair of jeans and heeled boots. Oh yes.

Reactions: Golden Horse

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I know that both the English and Western world is full of potential tack and clothing faux pas for the idiot on horse back, but in events like reining, barrel racing, poles, as long as your tack is legal, does REALLY matter what the rider wears?

I'm trying to think of English events where the riders clothes don't matter, and I'm struggling. What would happen if I turned up in a blingy rail shirt to ride a dressage test, would you get refused entry, marked down?
You would probably be disqualified. I'm pretty sure the nicer shows specify what you can wear.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,221 Posts

A lot of English disciplines are steeped in tradition and certain clothes are expected when you're showing, as a sign of respect to the judge and the sport. Some people might say that clothes shouldn't matter but would you go into a job interview wearing a ratty tshirt and jeans? There is standard that is considered acceptable there too. and with other sports like golf as well. George Morris always stresses that clothes should be clean, simple, and without any bling to highlight the HORSE as the focus and not take anything away from it. Eventers will get into some fun colors and sometimes jumpers too, although usually the upper level jumpers are a little more traditional. In certain english classes (like classics) they actually request "formal attire", which is described in the USEF rulebook.

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
. George Morris always stresses that clothes should be clean, simple, and without any bling to highlight the HORSE as the focus and not take anything away from it.
George had better stay away from the Western show ring then :rofl:

I get the whole tradition and respect element of the English ring, but I wish we could move away from it, on hot days especially wouldn't a dressage test look just as good with a rider wearing tan breeches and a nice polo shirt, rather than whites, stocks, coats etc?

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh look al sorts of pretty shirts, how does a girl choose:oops:

I like the black and gold thing, the purple is what I would choose for Emmy, but of course it will work for Gibbs, greys go with everything. The greeny turquoise thing though is what I would choose for Gibbs

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.