The Horse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
QUESTIONS:) What are your "success" stories with this progressive disease... ? Specifically, the maintenance you've used and works for your horse, what you avoid in daily life.

Some horse still show with ringbone, does yours? Low ringbone is arthritis of the coffin joint for those who don't know. It can be caused by long term hard work, trauma to the hoof, etc. Mine began with a trauma to the foot. Knowing it can only be "managed" not "cured" I'm hoping someone is willing to share their experiences.
Medications, shoeing option, has anyone ever tried barefoot with boots for this?, injections.... supplements... :smile:

·
Super Moderator
10,042 Posts
I've had success for years using therapeutic ultrasound, in water, to reduce the formation of bone on low ringbone. If caught early. A veterinarian in Aspen, Colorado was doing a study on that treatment last time I was there. It should be published by now, if your vet is interested.

Once ringbone is well established, the best I've found is ice boots after, and sometimes before, hard work. A farrier who will work with a motivated vet, is also invaluable.

Otherwise, hoping the horse can be "pasture sound" is best.

I'm not a fan of using Bute often. It is hard on other systems in horses.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts