The Horse Forum banner
21 - 40 of 249 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thank you @Dreamcatcher Arabians! Maybe because I see her all the time I don’t notice much change. I do think her bag has filled out a bit more, but not really enough worth mentioning.

She has felt pretty miserable all along it seemed like. At around month four we had to quit using her. She would try and sluff the colt constantly after a work day, so she’s been laid off. She just hasn’t been a happy pregnant girl. I can relate, but I’ve felt guilty all along with her!

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
Take your pics from day 310 & 320 and look at them side by side. I think you'll see a great deal of difference, not to do with her udder. Look how round she still was in her croup on day 310 and how she was still tucked up in her belly on day 310 and what her croup and belly look like in the 320 pics. Not saying she's going to drop tonight, but I'd be keeping that catcher's mit handy. It sounds like she may go sooner rather than later. Is she maiden or no?

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
She is maiden @Dreamcatcher Arabians. She is also our first bred mare since we’ve been married. When I was young my father had a couple broodies, but I never paid any attention to them for some reason. Now it all feels so new! We tried getting a mare bred once before, but she never took.

Now we have Lucy and an accidentally bred filly. So, it feels like I am learning it all at once.

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
She is maiden @Dreamcatcher Arabians. She is also our first bred mare since we’ve been married. When I was young my father had a couple broodies, but I never paid any attention to them for some reason. Now it all feels so new! We tried getting a mare bred once before, but she never took.

Now we have Lucy and an accidentally bred filly. So, it feels like I am learning it all at once.
I was afraid you were going to say that. Ugh, maiden mares can be so tricky. Mainly because they don't know how things are supposed to go, so they can't really tell you. Or, they'll be text book. Without having some history, it's all guesswork at this point. She could go at day 335, 345 or 380, you won't know til she goes. LOL! And then again, she could develop a bag, wax, lose control of her tail and allll the signs and you could write a vet text about her pregnancy. The good news is, she's made it to 320, she's out of the 'danger zone' for premature labor. The baby is pretty much 'fully baked' at this point. Now is when I'd start sitting up most of the night with her. Documenting all the changes I find, so that if and when you decide to breed her again, you'll know how she acts at each stage.

Did the vet not have you put her on Regumate when she acted like she wanted to abort early?

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
No, because when we quit riding her she quit having the problems @Dreamcatcher Arabians. Our vet isn’t strictly horse focused though… she just said she should be fine.
Obviously, the vet was right because she made it to day 321 (now). When I've had broodies that were trying to slip a foal, we put them on Regumate and didn't ride. The Regumate was just an insurance policy.

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
@Dreamcatcher Arabians June 1st was when they called her settled. She was there two weeks prior, but they short cycled her because we figured she was just coming out of heat when she arrived.

Reactions: gottatrot
21 - 40 of 249 Posts