The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 7 year old mare has developed a lump on her belly, more like a mass. It developed over the course of about a week and has been there for a month now. It's not sore or tender to the touch, it's soft and pliable like fat. It's near her udders but not her udder and extends in a line down the center of her belly, ending midway. She's not (extremely) overweight, but I just bought her in March and she has admittedly gained a bit of weight. At her old home there was zero grass and a stemmy roundbale, at my home she gets pasture access at night and free choice hay all day on a dry lot; she has a grazing muzzle on the way and is going to start wearing that at night as well. We ride about 10-15 miles a week and she never misses a beat; if you didn't look under her you'd never know she had something like that going on. I pulled a tick off of it yesterday; my friend thinks it's irritation from bugs. Thoughts? I'm terrified it's cancer or something:(:(

Attachments

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Don't worry yourself, that is fat. Lots of mares store fat down there. We used to joke about the shapes the fat would take on various mares - with one it felt more oblong and we said when she needed to go on a diet it was because she was getting her "banana" back. We'd joke that other mares were getting an "orange" under there. I'm not sure why but we always related them to fruit.
My current mare only gets apricots - she puts most of her fat elsewhere.
Your idea of cutting back on her feed is a good one.

·
Registered
14,637 Posts
More than likely a bug bite. She's on the fat side but she looks really nice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts