The Horse Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have my first official groundwork lesson with a highly qualified and accredited trainer this week (yay I found one!). For the record I've never had official training in ground work such as lunging and long reining. Just enough.. but not enough to develop an eye or well.. work a horse correctly!

She said she isn't into gadgets but that I should buy a lunging cavesson and a roller. Well.. I feel stupid after doing some research. I had no idea (even though it makes COMPLETE sense) that a headcollar clipped under can affect their balance opposite to what you want... I ended up down a rabbit hole lol. I'm not quite sure what is correct or what is fad.

And then I learned how many different types... jointed. Nutcracker types. Plate or no plate... etc etc.... so was curious here if anyone has any recommendations?

Saddler next week and will be alternating groundwork and ridden lessons. So exciting!

·
Super Moderator
14,976 Posts
Lunging cavesson I have used belonged to my boss.
Think halter with padded noseband and rings attached to it so you can attack lunge line in various position or long lines for "driving" work...
You can add a bit carrier strap too but you still use the cavesson to attach the lunge line.
The surcingle is what you see in the other pictures which you can use with a lunging cavesson, bridle, driving rein combination and a multitude of other uses...

Something like this...

You can pay moderate costs to very expensive depending upon brand, leather or nylon headstall/cavesson and again many choices of surcingle and what it is made from.
I had leather to work with, remember my bosses equipment...well padded to give comfort to the head and to fit the back and hold the shape so no twisting of as you work the horse in it.
I used a white baby pad or dresssage square under the surcingle so any perspiration was not on the equipment but on a easily washed pad.
Having a pad under the surcingle pads also allowed me to work several horses in a row and clean equipment for each.
Because I worked several different sized animals I had a couple of different size girths to adjust and fit the surcingle.
Make sure whatever you buy is large enough to accommodate your horses head as the cavesson is form fitting same as a bridle is and as you can see the surcingle is a special belt that encompasses the belly.
Then you can get other parts to add for more advanced work...
Happy work. :smile:

:runninghorse2:..

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I prefer a leather cavasson with a reinforced nose. Often you see nylon ones, but those don't have enough stability, IMO, and will slide around when push comes to shove. You want center and side rings. Attached to the top center ring, you have quite a bit of leverage and control. Take that into account when you buy one, as the more reinforcement the stronger the feel. Some are tanks and need more 'bite', others can't handle that much weight on their face.

For a surcingle, it's nice to get one with an array of rings, high and low, so that you can change your rein position as you advance. I just ordered a surcingle with standing turrets that I'm pretty excited to try.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts