The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My next lesson, I'm going to be lunging a horse with moon blindness in one eye. Is lunging a half-blind horse too much different than a horse with full sight? I imagine I'll have to be more vocal than I am with the not-blind horse (look at those beautiful grammar skills :rolleyes:). Should I try to get on the side he can see on?

Or maybe I need to stop worrying so much. Jeez. I'm sure my trainer will help me out. After all, she's worked with totally blind horses before. But any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My next lesson, I'm going to be lunging a horse with moon blindness in one eye. Is lunging a half-blind horse too much different than a horse with full sight? I imagine I'll have to be more vocal than I am with the not-blind horse (look at those beautiful grammar skills :rolleyes:). Should I try to get on the side he can see on?

Or maybe I need to stop worrying so much. Jeez. I'm sure my trainer will help me out. After all, she's worked with totally blind horses before. But any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I recently bought a horse that’s blind in one eye. So far I have only lunged him with his good eye facing me. That went fine, but unfortunately I cannot lunge him the other way until I teach him vocal cues because he relies on my movements.

As long as the horse knows voice cues, you will be fine!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Depends if the horse knows how to lunge. My mare is blind in one eye and you wouldn’t know it unless I told you. She uses vocal cues. Even some of my body language gets through to her via the lunge line and my overall energy which she somehow feels.

Your instructor will be able to tell you about that particular horse.

·
Registered
17,161 Posts
I've worked with a half-blind horse before, it is a little different on their blind side, but absolutely, use your voice as an aid to help them. Just play around with it, you'll get it! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts