The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mare is very green, and I think she would really benefit from lunging. The only problem is, she doesn't know how to lunge. I've tried free lunging her in the round pen, but all she does is face me or walk toward me. How do I teach her how to lunge?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm just starting this with my baby. Begin by getting her used to and comfortable with the lunge whip, touch her all over etc then the same with a lunge line - all round her legs, thrown on the ground etc while attached to her halter. I'm going to start by getting someone to lead my boy round me with me using the voice commands (just walk and halt to start with) and progress from there until he gets the idea x
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
356 Posts
I started my mare using a 10 ft lead rope and getting her to yield her hindquarters to me on a small circle, gradually increasing distance. If you don't have enough pushing power to get her out on the circle, you can always begin by walking with her on the circle. I associate the "driving power" with the whip pointed at the hindquarters, and encouragement to stay out on the circle and not fall or turn in is usually accomplished by directing the whip at the shoulder. You may have to adjust the position of the whip as you deem necessary. If your horse turns in to face you often, it usually means you are in positioned too far in front of the driving line, nearer to the head. You want to be at least behind the point of the wither. Your whole body language has to be pointed in the direction you want to go in the beginning. You can even look slightly forward, or concentrate on her footfalls. This means shoulders forward, almost walking into the line. Keep your elbows nearer to your hips, as your hips harness all the pushing energy, and this will be evident in your walk and footfalls, so make sure you are balanced over your hips, shoulders up, knees slightly bent, and feet grounded. If you decide to pivot, make sure you cross your legs over one another and both are facing the direction you would like to go. Also, desensitization to the whip is great, and necessary, but be sure your horse knows what one truly feels like if you need to employ it. A sharp rap on the bum shows follow through, and horses are naturally associative, so in this instance, take advantage of that. It shows you are decisive enough to be a fair leader, and it will get you far more respect and save you plenty hassles down the road.

Although tradition will tell you to stand in that standard "pie" or "triangle" shape, it didn't quite work for me in the beginning as it does now, so maybe you too will have to work up to that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.