The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started free lounging my two two 1/2 filly and when i comand her to go out she wont she just stands there if i use the whip she still stands there if i lightly tap her she comes at me bucking and ears pinned how can i get her to lounge she does the same thing on a lounge line what can i do get her to know im boss!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2yr old. I let him out the other day in the arena with 1of my other horses. I chase them about for 10mins to get them moving as they tend to just stand and eat the grass along the side of the arena. Hes gallops behind the mare leaping and bucking , seems to be having great fun but the minute hes on his own and id try and encourage him on he just stands there looking at me as if iv 2heads! I gave him a crack on the **** with the lunge wip and he didnt move an inch just stood looking at me and then the minute id turn my back he'd run at me.. I put it purely down to his age, hes still a baby and doesnt know any better. Everythings a game to them at that age.. I wouldnt worry to much about the lunging it at the minute, if shes full of beans she'll gallop and buck and let of the steam, but I wouldnt let her get away with charging at you..very dangerous, when your in with her never take your eyes of her, their suprisingly fit and agile at that age.. keep safe!! :shock:

·
Registered
303 Posts
You might not be being strong enough. Also, where is your body position when you are attempting to move him forward? You are in effect driving him so your position should be past the mid line, off of a hip. When a person is in front of the mid line they are blocking the horse's forward progress. The mid line is an imaginary vertical line in the middle of the horse's barrel. He is probably not doing this on purpose but doesn't know what you want. If he is free in a round pen and you get after his hocks with the whip he will probably move. If he doesn't move you can't stop with one tap of the whip but have to be progressively stronger. At some point he is going to move in order to avoid it. Then it is just a matter of keeping him moving until he gets the idea. If he gets the idea he doesn't have to move then you are creating a contest of wills between you and the horse and if he is winning and it could become a dangerous lack of respect issue. Instead of moving away from you he could charge you.

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
where is your body position when you are attempting to move him forward?
Exactly my question too. What do you do when he comes charging at you? Are you full of energy when you ask for go, or do you stand there in a lull? Are you walking with the horse or what?

Do you give him enough warnings before you tap him with the whip? Sounds like he doesn't understand pressure release.. maybe go back and do that on the leadrope or when tied (if they tie well) ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.