The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who says Quarter Horses can't do dressage? Enjoy this chat with Lynn and I as she prepares for her exhibition at the World Equestrian Games this Fall.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Rugged Painted Lark is a paint though, not a quarter horse n__n paints for the win.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Jane,
This was really nice to see! I just get so much from watching you work with horses and teach riders!
Wishing all the best to Lynn Rugged Painted Lark. Who is beautiful by the way.

Halfpass

·
Banned
629 Posts
Who says Quarter Horses can't do dressage?
No one.

However, 'doing' and 'excelling' are two different things. It remains a fact that the QH (and Paint) are typically not conformed to excel in dressage.

When the competition dressage ring and the SRS are full of QH's (or Paints) winning in dressage and performing The Airs...then we'll talk.

Until then, I'll enjoy seeing Lynn Palm introduce the western world to the benefits of 'dressage' as a way to improve the western horse in western disciplines.

I would also enjoy seeing Lynn Palm attempt bullfighting on her horse.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
No one.

However, 'doing' and 'excelling' are two different things. It remains a fact that the QH (and Paint) are typically not conformed to excel in dressage.

When the competition dressage ring and the SRS are full of QH's (or Paints) winning in dressage and performing The Airs...then we'll talk.

Until then, I'll enjoy seeing Lynn Palm introduce the western world to the benefits of 'dressage' as a way to improve the western horse in western disciplines.

:) Thank you. You took the words from my mouth.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree. But don't you think most people just want to have fun with their horses and aren't trying to make an Olympic team?

Better communication through dressage=better partnership= more fun

Sounds like a win/win for everyone.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Hi Jane,
I love your last comment. I too feel that everyone can improve with dressage no mater what breed of horse or dicipline they prefer.
Halfpass

·
Super Moderator
26,805 Posts
No one.

Western and dressage are already so closely related it's not even funny. As for "QH's not excelling" in dressage, who cares? They aren't built for it. Does that mean it's not impressive when one can get out there and pull it off?

I don't believe any one breed of horse is "bigger badder better" then any other breed. They are all bred and built to serve a purpose. When one that was bred for and can excel at one discipline can cross over into another, that's something to be proud of, no matter the breed.

Oh and Rugged Painted Lark has TONS of QH blood in him and the build is the same.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I feel if your making improvements with the use of dressage then you are excelling. Doesn't really mater if your trying to get to the top or just improve the communication, seat, etc etc....
Just my thoughts

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
I agree. But don't you think most people just want to have fun with their horses and aren't trying to make an Olympic team?

It is nice to see the odd "not expected to be there" horse working well in dressage.

Seldem Seen did it. My Quarab did it (at GP level) and this horse may do it also. It would be however, wrong to think that now every horse from the "off breeds" to be able to excell.

Personally the ones that do excell in what they are not bred for are usually atypical for their breed.

Each horse must be evaluated as a seperate individual.

·
Banned
629 Posts
Western and dressage are already so closely related it's not even funny. As for "QH's not excelling" in dressage, who cares? They aren't built for it. Does that mean it's not impressive when one can get out there and pull it off?
Exactly, who cares? So, no need for the "Who says QH's can't do dressage?" bit. Nobody has ever said that. So what's the point? Who cares?

And no, I don't find it impressive in the least bit for a horse to perform a movement as correctly as they are physically capable of doing it.

I don't believe any one breed of horse is "bigger badder better" then any other breed. They are all bred and built to serve a purpose. When one that was bred for and can excel at one discipline can cross over into another, that's something to be proud of, no matter the breed.
It's not a 'cross over'. Only if/when a horse can EXCEL in two different disciplines is it a 'cross over' AND impressive.

I can cut a cow with my Stbd if I want. Who cares? None of that is point.

·
Banned
629 Posts

If that had been your original reason in posting, then you'd have left out the part: Who said QH's can't do dressage? And you'd have posted a video of an average Joe, doing dressage on their average Joe horse.

Instead you posted a video of an internationally known trainer, going to arguably the biggest Equine show on the planet, to show what her exceptional horse can do.

How exactly does that relate to: most people just want to have fun with their horses and aren't trying to make the Olympic team?

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
If that had been your original reason in posting, then you'd have left out the part: Who said QH's can't do dressage? And you'd have posted a video of an average Joe, doing dressage on their average Joe horse.

Instead you posted a video of an internationally known trainer, going to arguably the biggest Equine show on the planet, to show what her exceptional horse can do.

How exactly does that relate to: most people just want to have fun with their horses and aren't trying to make the Olympic team?
Mercedes - Why the argumentative response?

Thanks for the link Jane - we are looking forward to having Lynn at the MN Horse Expo in April!

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Each horse must be evaluated as a seperate individual.
I totally agree.

Mercedes, your posts in this thread (and others) are why so many people think dressage people look down their noses at the rest of the world. You do not have to proclaim everyone else just plain stupid to make yourself smarter.
Thankfully the people in my world that do dressage are the types that want to help others love dressage and not make them think that no one else is special enough to do it.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Jane, Please keep posting. I loved seeing that video and am thrilled to see anything you are involved in. I learned so much from your ideas on overcoming fear.

·
Banned
629 Posts
Mercedes, your posts in this thread (and others) are why so many people think dressage people look down their noses at the rest of the world.
Who said I was a 'dressage people'? Thanks for throwing that label and box out there.

You do not have to proclaim everyone else just plain stupid to make yourself smarter.
I haven't proclaimed anyone stupid or even just plain stupid, but if the shoe fits, slap that puppy on and wear it proudly. Be good at something and embrace it.

Thankfully the people in my world that do dressage are the types that want to help others love dressage and not make them think that no one else is special enough to do it.
Have no clue how that pertains to anything said in this thread. But if you're happy, I'm happy that you're happy.

·
Registered
955 Posts
You know, I think the "who said QH can't do dressage" was said in the spirit of fun. Let's not take ourselves too seriously. I appreciate the sharing of the video and do not think we need to dissect every nuance that people say. Unpleasant responses are what discourage some from putting anything on Horse Forum and I, for one want Jane Savoie to keep writing on here!!!! You can learn so much from her and that is my main goal with Horse Forum.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
I'm going to close this thread because it has gotten so far off base that the original post was long ago forgotten and all it is now is a lot of nothing worthwhile.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.