The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
I agree. But don't you think most people just want to have fun with their horses and aren't trying to make an Olympic team?

Better communication through dressage=better partnership= more fun

Sounds like a win/win for everyone.
It is nice to see the odd "not expected to be there" horse working well in dressage.

Seldem Seen did it. My Quarab did it (at GP level) and this horse may do it also. It would be however, wrong to think that now every horse from the "off breeds" to be able to excell.

Personally the ones that do excell in what they are not bred for are usually atypical for their breed.

Each horse must be evaluated as a seperate individual.

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
Actually - now that AQHA is recognizing the discipline and giving points for it, I am very sure you will see more and more stock horses - quarters and paints - excelling in the dressage ring. The leggy types will do very well.

Dressage is excellent cross training for any discipline.
What worries me is that just as everyone goes out and buys the dog the wins Westminister to be in fashion, that people will be buying off breeds expecting them all to be the next dressage master.

I was certainly not blinded that I had the "odd horse out" with my quarab and the funny thing is Arabs were considered a no no until I got to FEI then it seemed like everyone thought they were the best choice (and cheap).

I remember judging one arab show ( I think I was chosen because I was "arab friendly....LOL) and gave 2s and 3 for one horse that did a semi false passage in place of a working trot at the basic level.

It is this "in fashion" type of following that we cannot allow those that have off breeds that will never do better than the basic levels to think that because one atypical individual having the best training excells.

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
Personally, I'd rather see the underdog. The person who came from nothing, the horse that was thrown away, the Kid nobody believed in, the horse that "wasn't good enough".

Money doesn't impress me, because you see... it doesn't matter what sport it is, someone will always buy their way to the top. Nope, I like to see the people that claw their ways to the top through hard work, guts, heart, and sweat but that's just my opinion.
Well I am an example that it CAN be done if you REALLY want it and willing to throw everything into that one goal.

Horse $250.00..sold cheap beacuse he wasn't energetic enough, but taking a pair of pliers to his feet and being left in a field with no grass in November probably contribted. I "heard" the new horse in their trailer when I was taking my new boy home.

Trainer...none...I used a book.

Conformationally incorrect and had chronic seedy toe, jack spavins and a healed pulled tendon in the front.

What he had was "try" and that you cannot put a price tag on it.

Had to show amid all the gauffaws because he was a part Arab and Arabs were a serious no no.

To top it off....I wasn't looking for him but another horse. I got lost and was asking for directions when I was told he was at the back and for sale so he was in fact a mistake....but he was in my price range.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.