The Horse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does mane and MTG really work?
i have the book own a fairy tail horse, and what it says on there to use for mane and tail growth works AMAZING! my horses tail was growing 1 inch or more a month and it had bin the same lenth her hole life before i started useing this. but.... the stuff i have bin useing for this comes in a really small tube and its annoying to have to go get a nother one so often and i heard MTG work almost as well?
if anyone has any before and after pictures a would really like to see them, and i would also like to know the time it took for this change, i would like to see manes, tails, and forelocks. just so i can compare to what i have now.

thanks!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I dont have any before or after pictures but I do really like it! I put it on a few times a week after I ride, and id usually keep her tail braided or in a tail wrap. It does smell bad and makes the hairs greasy but I found it definitely helped to make her tail thicker and longer! You just gotta stick with it and keep using it for there to be any results. Hope this helped! :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Never used it for that but I have used it very successfully as a treatment for rain rot. It also works very good for breaking apart pine sap globs stuck in the hair. My horses like to rub on the pine trees, it can really get messy, MTG really breaks the stuff up and doesn't mess up their hair...actually leaves it nice and shinny. I like it, smells a bit rough though.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I know people that use it and they love it I just have not had time to get some for me

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
You know, I tried MTG and was not impressed. I didn't like the sulpher smell (especially the next day) and everything was greasy. It was just a stinky oily mess.

Are you guys not so sure that baby oil wouldn't do the same thing?

I think MTG is basically mineral oil and sulpher. Sulpher is good for rain rot, scratches and other skin conditions. But as far as using it in manes and tails to condition and detangle I like baby oil better and it sure as heck smells better.

Now I will admit I didn't stick to it very long. Maybe 2 weeks if that.

But I really doubt MTG makes hair grow. I'm sure it allows hair to grow if the horse loosing it due to a skin condition. But if it MADE hair grow it would be the new Rogain. :lol:

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sulphur is what makes it the hair grow, or start growing. i know sulphur does make hair grow! i had a complete sulphur mixed with some kind of jel so it was not so harch and i had over an inch of growth every week, its just too expencive to keep useing.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I used MTG on Dallas's tail and it worked really well. His tail grew faster and got thicker. I wish I had some before and after photos for you. Actually I don't think I have any pictures of just his tail. lol. It also worked really well on a friend's mare who had rain rot.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
works great, helps keep things from getting tangled. deters bugs. it even works on our appys. And it kinda smells like bbq, which i dont mind:lol:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Urgh I used it lots on my last lease horse and I hated the smell. Didn't notice much of a difference in his hair either...his mane did grow slightly longer, but I think it was just normal growth. I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
im useing MTG on my standerbred in december he had like less then an inch of mane due to last yr he was rescued but he had rubbed out his mane but anywho i have been useing mtg since december and now he has a big mohawk with one spot that flops over XD so i do think MTG works even tho i think it smells like bacon lol but whatever i got used to the smell

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It works awesome! Smells like bacon though, but I really don't mind it. Wish I had pictures, but it helped thicken, condition, and the growth of his hair.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
153 Posts
I used MTG on my mares mane and tail and she started loosing hair which turned out to be rain rot but it only spread on the areas where I applied the MTG. I don't think I will ever use it again in case she had a reaction and allowed the bacteria to grow.

So be careful about allergic reactions or skin irritation.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I use MTG on everything! Always test a small area on your horse and make sure they are not allergic! I do not have before pics but this mares tail was above her hocks, and 4 month later...

Please excuse the crappy pics and the slightly fat mini.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
...But I really doubt MTG makes hair grow. I'm sure it allows hair to grow if the horse loosing it due to a skin condition. But if it MADE hair grow it would be the new Rogain. :lol:
From my experience and reading, I agree. Sulfur products have been used for a very long time for skin conditions (including acne) because it is very effective at drying the skin. Since there are certainly many factors involving hair loss/growth, I put MTG in the category with many other remedies/supplements of 'try it, it may work'. Be careful and follow the instructions, though, as it is very rough on the skin and can cause reactions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts