Votes: 1 14.3%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it's about time I made Maddie's foaling thread since she only has about 2.5-3 months left til foaling.

My plans last year was to breed my mare Rosie to a Registered Quarter Horse stallion, then I ended up selling her to a friend who needed a solid riding horse for kids.

So then I decided to just marry Chloe, my registered quarter horse mare to the same stud, and ended up adding Maddie my Quarter horse/Percheron/Canadian mare to the mix but to be bred to their Appy stallion.

Then when it came down to breeding, Chloe refused to be covered by the stud even while heavily in heat and she is too small to have been bred to the 17 HH Appy while she's only 13.3-14 HH. So she came home and I got most of my money back. Then brought Maddie over to be bred but the Appy ended up scaring her when he roared at her upon sight. It sort of worked out in the end, anyways, as I ended up having her bred to the registered quarter horse (which was probably the better choice anyways since she's half quarter horse herself).

Getting to the point, here's the late foaling thread for Maddilyn my Black 1/2 Quarter Horse, 1/4 Percheron, 1/4 Canadian mare to Smoke in The Blues a Cremello AQHA stallion trained in Reining.

He's been colour tested so I'm guarenteed either a Buckskin or Palomino (Most likely a Buckskin), but I'm just hoping for a healthy colt or filly.

She's due Early May, and I will have to get recent pictures of her since the ice has made it difficult for me to get out to see her lately, but here's a picture of both the stud and the mare.

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are pictures from today, and I felt the foal kick! She's much larger in person, the pictures aren't the greatest but she wouldn't stay back so I could good full body shots.

Also going to start the colour/gender poll now. The options I have are:

Palomino Colt
Palomino Filly
Buckskin Colt
Buckskin Filly

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,664 Posts
As the mare is black do you know if she is Ee or EE. Only if she is Ee is there a chance of palomino. Only if the stallion is homozygous dominant Agouti will you have buckskin. Perhaps I missed if the stallion was color tested and if you had covered mares genetis or possible genetics.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@QtrBel The stud was color tested by the breeder and he's AA. My mare isn't colour tested, but I know her parents and and the sire's sire. Both parents are Black and her sire's sire was black too. I did the online color calculator with knowing the stud's genetics and not her's and got 75% Buckskin and 25% Palomino. I'm pretty much leaning towards a buckskin foal, but wouldn't be upset if it ended up a palomino. :) Honestly, though, I did pick the stud for his temperament and conformation. I just plan this foal to be a trail mount, and my mare comes from horses with level heads and great minds.

·
Super Moderator
12,664 Posts
If she doen't carry red then she can't have a red based baby. EE always throws E (black) whether the baby is EE or Ee - which would be your baby if she throws E and e since sire only has e to throw. Now if the mare's dam has other offspring and any are red based you know she carries red and is Eecrcraa which means she could throw e to go with sire's e and then because he is CrCr and AA you could have either palomino (red based) or buckskin as baby would be either eeCrcrAa or EeCrcrAa.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I cast by vote for a buckskin filly. Good luck with everything. It seems to me that when you first breed your mare it's pretty exciting but you just put it on the back burner and wait. But, the last couple of months is torturous, lol. It seems to take forever. I hope that you get everything that you want with this breeding.

Reactions: knightrider

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@QtrBel The mare's dam foaled out a chestnut colt last year that's a full brother to Maddie. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a buckskin, though, but thought it would be cool to start a poll :p
@LoriF This next month or so is going to be painfully slow, and sadly I'm beginning to think she may foal out early May; I lost the paper with the date on it. Going to message the breeder who wrote it down. And thank you, I think I will end up with exactly what I want. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,664 Posts
So with a chestnut baby then you know she is Ee. With him being eeCrCrAA then you have 50/50 chance of buckskin or palomino.

I hope you get what it is you want. here the fates are fickle and I usually get what I least want or is least likely.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only thing I want at this time is a healthy foal; I figure she'll pick a nasty day to finally foal out and go over the estimated due date.

Though, honestly a buckskin or palomino colt would be really nice :p

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
12 more days until I can begin the true waiting game, and knowing my luck she'll hold on til May 20th or even longer -_-. All I can say is I'm grateful to be surrounded by knowledgeable horse people who have bred Registered Quarter Horses and Paints before; they're the ones keeping me calm right now lol. No new pictures as everyone is shedding out and nobody looks presentable with the rainy weather lately, hopefully have an updated picture of her soon.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are some pictures of her from this afternoon. She's starting to go jelly in the back end and her udders are filling up. Getting her huge stall that she'll share with the foal, and brushed the mud off of her while she had some cubes.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is todays pictures, finally got a picture of her udders. She still has sometime to go, though. Picking up straw for when she foals out this weekend coming.

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As of yesterday I've started officially waiting for little Squirt. Between the three of us (My mom, myself and BO) I think she'll foal on the 19th, a day after the full moon, mom thinks the 20th because it's my aunt and uncle's anniversary (and my puppy was born on another relative's birthday so she's going with that pattern) and the BO think in about a week's time (so 13ish).

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Baby's Here

I got the call this morning as I sat down to watch Hercules The Legendary Journeys, from the BO telling me to check my phone and call her back. Of course I don't have data on so I don't get pictures and called her back saying I didn't get anything. She says, you didn't get the pictures? And I"m like, no way I won the bet?

Anyways, baby is here (don't know gender as of yet, waiting to head over as my mom has my car at work right now) came last night without anyone knowing, but BO said healthy and all the placenta was there. Maddie and foal are doing great and she called the vet to let him know (Love my BO seriously she's awesome). I only have a picture, but you can guess who all won the poll XD.

More pictures to come later! :D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.