The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Was hoping someone on here would be able to help me with the best way to get enough magnesium into our horses without having to do hard feed all the time or trying to syringe it into them

Thank you in advance for any help

·
Registered
22 Posts
I feed 1 Tbs of Epsom salts a day to my horses. You have to make sure that it is 100% Epsom salts when buying it with no added chemicals etc. You can get them at any local Walmart and can also buy in bulk at some feed stores and its cheap. I soak beat pulp daily and just throw in there with other grains, It dissolves in water so works great with beet pulp but could also dissolve and pour on dry grain. Here is a helpful link on feeding horses Epsom salts https://www.horsetalk.co.nz/2012/09/27/feeding-magnesium-to-horses/

·
Registered
504 Posts
During the warm months when the herd is out on pasture not getting hard feed we just put the magnesium in a bowl. If they need it, they'll eat it. If they don't, they won't. But they rarely refuse, even the picky eaters. We use MagOx, which is a powdery consistency. It's technically a cattle supplement, but works great for horses and is much cheaper than the special magnesium supplements for horses. We get it in a 50lb brown bag at the feed mill. Do the same thing with biotin (also the brown bag "cattle" version).

·
Super Moderator
22,802 Posts
I have put Mg Chlor in the water before, for horses at high risk of, or already suffering laminitis &/or IR. Or you can pour a solution of it over the hay.

I'm intrigued LBM, that your horses just eat the stuff like that. I've heard of horses liking the taste of Mg Chlor(have you tasted that? Bleh!) but mine won't eat it by choice, but never heard of horses eating Mg Ox straight, by choice.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have put Mg Chlor in the water before, for horses at high risk of, or already suffering laminitis &/or IR. Or you can pour a solution of it over the hay.

I'm intrigued LBM, that your horses just eat the stuff like that. I've heard of horses liking the taste of Mg Chlor(have you tasted that? Bleh!) but mine won't eat it by choice, but never heard of horses eating Mg Ox straight, by choice.
My horses are weirdos. They get offended by most supplements but MagOx and Biotin seem to be acceptable. I don't know. I've given up trying to predict what they will or will not eat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts