Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

My horse Ninja has quite a long mane, and I want to grow it out more. However, I'm getting quite nervous about actually doing anything - most tutorials online suggest braiding & wrapping the mane, but I'm worried about him rubbing it and tearing it all out. So I was wondering if anyone who has a horse with a long mane - should I be worried about it?

For some more info, he's kept in a paddock with other horses (another reason I'm worried - in case the others bite his mane or something) and to my knowledge, he doesn't rub his mane, although I can't be sure.

Sorry if I'm just being paranoid! Any advice is appreciated :D

:gallop:

·
Super Moderator
12,249 Posts
Growth has a genetic component and a nutritional component. There is nothing you can put on it that will make it grow faster. Good care like keeping clean and groomed. You can braid or not. I've never braided and have had some with long stunning manes and tails thanks to genetics and then good nutrition.

Grooming wise I like a good brush intended for manes. Some brands are better than others. Hair will fall out and that is what you are removing. You don't want a brush that pulls the hair out though. If you are starting with a good, clean and tangle free mane then it is all about upkeep.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah I should probably clarify - I meant to prevent breakage & the like. Thanks for the advice ^^

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I have one mare with a super long mane. It's genetics. She gets an extra thick winter coat and grows great feet. The feet of a mountain horse. I do nothing different from the others except for some extra maintenance. For bath day, I shampoo, rinse, shampoo a second time, rinse, condition, allow the conditioner to soak while i check for ticks, rinse one final time and turnout. The next day, i brush and put in two maintenance braids at the base of her neck. That prevents rats nests. The braids stay in up to 2 weeks, maybe longer. I do not braid the entire mane and i do not bag the mane.

For horses that have a shorter mane: a simple wash and condition is sufficient. Conditioner is the key to a soft silky mane.

I do not use "leave in products" or conditioners. Cowboy magic detangler on a white horse= a very dirty mane. The dirt sticks like grease. I do keep a spray bottle of detangler for when I'm neglectful and have to deal with knots.

If i don't do a full wash, simply adding conditioner as part of the after ride hose down will improve most manes. I don't usually remove the braids at that point.

Only rarely do i lose any hair, despite the braids. Winters are typically easier, as my mare rolls less, the humidity is less, and i can avoid braiding.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I do not use "leave in products" or conditioners. Cowboy magic detangler on a white horse= a very dirty mane. The dirt sticks like grease. I do keep a spray bottle of detangler for when I'm neglectful and have to deal with knots.
I've never used Cowboy Magic in all my years as a horse owner.... but I love Show Sheen. Do you not use Show Sheen? Is it because of the slickness it can leave on the coat? Or does it do something like dry out the mane or something? I've never had issues with it, but my longest mane on a horse was.... maybe two feet of total hair. And tails that were thick and touched the ground. Just curious if there's something about Show Sheen people don't like!

Reactions: duskexx

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
People say Show Sheen dries out the hair, but I don't know that personally. I used to use it quite a bit. Now I usually use something like Cowboy Magic or whatever detangler spray I can find on sale. I like Show Sheen though. My only complaint is you sure don't want to get it where your saddle sits. ;-)

I think a long mane is mostly genetics and if a horse rubs it or not. I've had horses with manes that they rubbed so much I almost roached them. Nothing I did could keep them from rubbing it in the summer. Then I've also had a couple of horses that rarely or never rub their manes. And they are gorgeous with little effort from me. My current mare keeps a lovely mane. Maybe once every week or two I will brush it out with a detangler, ripping hair out as I go. But because I don't do it every day and she doesn't rub, she still has a lovely mane. I am pretty lazy with the hair care. :lol:

Attachments

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your horse is gorgeous!!!

Thank you all for the advice! We've started rugging him with a neck rug for winter and I've already noticed that the parts of his mane under it looks a lot shinier, so I might see if I can get a longer neck rug or something. I'll also get a proper detangler.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Keep the mane clean and detangled. Other than that, unless the horse is stalled or turned out alone, I think braids are more likely to cause problems than not. My gelding has a lovely long, thick mane and the only care it gets is combed out periodically and conditioned a bit when it feels dry. I wash it out well when he's bathed. That's it.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keep the mane clean and detangled. Other than that, unless the horse is stalled or turned out alone, I think braids are more likely to cause problems than not. My gelding has a lovely long, thick mane and the only care it gets is combed out periodically and conditioned a bit when it feels dry. I wash it out well when he's bathed. That's it.
Yeah, after seeing everyone basically saying the same thing I reckon I'll just leave him haha. Thank you!

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Cold hose, wash, wash, condition, detangle by hand, brush, braid, bag and leave alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.