The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a hoof jack out of a washing machine agitator today... Anyone ever tried it?

I figure I am spending 10.00 on all the supplies so I may as well give it a go...

I'll let you know how it turns out!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So we almost finished the hoof jack! The only thing we are adding are holes in the pipe to insert a pin so it will be adjustable.

This is the agitator we paid $5.00 for it at a local recycling place. The owner normally charges $10.00 but he owns an Appaloosa and (he LOVES the idea of repurposing things) and gave me a 50% discount! Score!!

I forgot to take a before picture so I got one off google but this was it:

These are the supplies I bought:
1.5 inch galvanized pipe: $4.00(ish) at lowes.
1 galvanized pipe lid? $2.00(ish) also at lowes.
Tennis ball I had this laying around but a bag of ten is around $7.00 at Fred Meyer.
Plastic peice came with the agitator(on the inside somewhere.)

We used a Multi-Max Dremel tool to cut off the "wings". It was a drywall saw attachment.
Then we used the sand paper attachment to make it smooth.

The hardest part was making the hole to insert the pipe. What we ended up using was a drill hole saw... The stupid thing would slip everywhere so we used a peice of wood to use as a guide.

Here is the end result... It came out pretty nice in my opinion, and it cost less than $20.00!! :)
Good luck if you ever attempt it!!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Interesting. How sturdy is it?

lunavi (she's here on the form) had one made from a metal umbrella stand, the type that you use with your patio furniture that goes through a table. It's pretty cool too.

I'm hoping she sees this post and adds her pictures as well. We can all use some great ideas for a hoof stand!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's very sturdy! I don't know if a draft could use it but it works well for an average horse.

Yes, it's plastic but a very thick plastic.

The only complaint I have is that I need to give it some more weight but other than that it's wonderful!!

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Not sure you need more weight. The HoofJack is plastic and doesn't look much heavier. The designer says to keep a foot on it to stabilize the bottom.

If a horse wants to turn it over don't think the weight would make much difference to a horse.

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Great innovation!

If it's strong enough plastic, it's not the weight but the size of the base that may be a problem - bolting a larger metal plate to the base would fix that tho.

I'm seeing it possibly not coping with a lot of force, being plastic - straight downward force would be mostly on the iron pipe, but horses move, lean...), but could be fine for a well behaved smaller horse. Also, I'd bolt the tennis ball on if it isn't, otherwise could be unstable.

If you find it's not up to the job, car jack stands are cheap too(& come in pairs, so maybe you have a friend that needs one too!) And you have the beginnings of a 'cradle' to build on too. Same prob with the small base on these - need to bolt a bigger one on.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The base is the same size as a hoof jack. It's pretty much identical to the size of one. That tennis ball isn't going anywhere trust me. The cap on the pipe keeps it on.

I have a 1100lb 6 year old. He's already tossed it all over the arena. The pipe is held in place by the clear plastic price plus the other peices on the inside of the base.

My horse likes to try yoga on hoof jacks so far he's not destroyed it. So I'm happy!

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I am absolutely gonna get one. I have one with a metal disc base that I worry about. Wouldn't it be funny if Hoof Jack actually sort of copied an agitator hoof stand:)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Great idea!! I was recently thinking how to make one. I too am going to show my husband. ����

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh that came out fantastic! And sure, a larger plywood disk could be added to the bottom of additional weight or stability is desired. This is the best homemade hoof stand I have ever seen!
My husband was so happy to read that! You all made his day today

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ha!
We couldn't find a guide! We found one picture off Pinterest and then made up our own from there!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.