The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I am posting this thread primarily to gather thoughts on what your Ideal Vet Kits are, what you always have on hand, and to get together and put together a list of what all horse owners should have around the ol' tack room in case your horse gets ill or acts a fool and gets hurt ;)

What is a Vet Kit? Usually a trunk sized container with different compartments where you store your medicinal stuff for when your horse may get an injury or infection.

I was absolutely startled when my friend was purchasing her first horse, and bought saddles, bridles, brushes, and other riding/grooming stuff, but didn't buy so much as one vet wrap, or bottle of Iodine. The day she brought her horse home, she noticed she had a nail stuck in the sole of her hoof.. and couldn't do anything about it since she had no supplies. She did all she could do, and pulled the nail, then proceeded to... put the horse's foot down in the dirt. The next morning the horse had a fever and was very sick. She had an infection from the open sore in the sole, and cost her a lot of money in vet bills. Why? All because she didnt have Iodine, gauze, and vet wrap. An 8 dollar investment.. and she could have avoided the 200 dollar vet bills. Nice.

Since i know people who are new to horse ownership may visit the forums, i would love to have a list of items that should be in a vet kit. If there are any added suggestions, please post, and i will add it to the list! (and put your user name by it, since it was your idea :)) If you have a question as to why something is on the list, post, and i will explain why i recommend getting it (since some of these things are going to seem really off the wall. I will try to put *'s by the ones that are bizarre, and at the very bottom of the post have a "key" of sorts, that says why i believe they are needed.

Onto the list!

Thermometer
Vet Wrap
Gauze rolls
Non-stick gauze pads
Rubber Gloves
Betadine Scrub (Iodine, for washing)
Betadine Solution (Iodine, for soaking)*
Triple Antibiotic (Neosporin)
Alcohol
Hydrogen Peroxide
SWAT
Bute (Must be purchased from Vet)
Desatin**
Diapers***
Aspirin
Powder Electrolytes
Mortar and Pestle/Pill Crusher
Cotton Swabs
Bandage Scissors
Scissors
Stiff Plastic Grooming Brush (all plastic)
Small Rubber Soaking Bucket
Epsom Salts
Wonder Dust
Terramyacine ****
Pillow Wraps
Normal Wraps
Thin Polo Wraps
Duct Tape (Comes in handier than ya think!)
Bigeloil *****
Bot Knife
Clean Stainless Steel Hoof pick
Ichthamol ******
Fura Septin *******
A jug of purified or distilled water
Spray bottle of purified or distilled water
Mineral Oil ********
Anti-bacterial Soap (recommended by barnrat)
Vaseline (recommended by kristy)

* (Betadine Solution) I highly recommend offloading some of the Betadine Solution into a little squeezie bottle, or a spray bottle, i have needed it in the past to squirt on the frog, and this way you will waste less.

** (Desatin) Found at any human stores, its used to treat diaper rash in babies, but also works well when mixed with Swat.

*** (Diapers) These work awesome if the horse has a problem on the bottom of the foot, like an abscess or a cut. When the horse's foot is in it, it offers extra padding so ensure the horse will be comfortable. Of course, you will need to use vet wrap to make sure its on securely.

**** (Terramyacine) Sold at many tack stores, this is a little tube of gooey medicine that has the same texture as triple antibiotic. Its sold over the counter, and it is really essential to have around if your horse gets a weepy, gunky, or irritated eye.

***** (Bigeloil) Sold at many tack stores, this is the horse's equivalent to Ben Gay, or Icy Hot. It is in liquid form, and is used to apply to sore muscle spots on the horse.

****** (Ichthamol) Sold at many tack stores, GREAT medication/salve that is primarily used on abscesses.

******* (Fura Septin) Sold at many tack stores, it is used to prevent bacteria infections on surface wounds or burns. I prefer triple antibiotic, but this works just as well, and comes in a larger container!

******** (Mineral Oil) Found at many human stores, we have had to use this in the past with horses that weren't defecating, when ingested it helps loosen the stool if there is a blockage. This has also been used when a horse was choking, to help the item the horse was choking on slide down its throat.

-Skippy

·
Registered
980 Posts
At our barn we have everything that we need and when we run out (before we can get to the store and buy some more) we are always welcome to Borrow or use someone elses.

I did not see anti-bacterial soup on your list but that comes in handy when cleaning the wounds.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Kristy! Vaseline is wonderful to have around for general lubrication and whatnot. I use that, or Lubricating Jelly (like KY) when i need to take a horse's temperature and whatnot. Its also great on chapped skin.

Sunscreen is also good to have around during the summer months for those of us with horses with pink noses ^^

If its ok, i am going to sticky thing thread for a little bit since i think it is a good reference for people to have when shopping for veterinary items for their horse =) People browsing the forums could get some use of this :)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Nappy rash cream(the kind you use on babies) is cheap, easy to get hold of and is really good for girth gall, greasy heal and other rubs and rashes. :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
no stuff

I was a little stressed to find that the barn I was at didn't have certain items. I know that I should have my own things as well but I assumed the barn would have certain things on hand. Come to find out boarders have borrowed it and never returned it. What is wrong with people. I have printed off the entire list and am going to buy everything on it whether I need it or not. I hate not being prepared

·
Registered
206 Posts
giget said:
hi guys
is it really stupid to ask what swat is??
:oops:
It's a pest repelent *spelling?*. I use it in my horse's ears if the bugs are bothering them. and i think you can put it on wounds to keep the bugs off of them too. and by the way, you're not stupid for asking the quetion i think it was good you did. :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
ahh it must be the different country thing iv never heard of swat in my life but have seveeral differnt incect repelants

·
Registered
73 Posts
swat is a fly repellant ointment. It is great to have around for wounds, cuts, etc. Apply on top of whatever dressing you applied and it will keep flies and other bugs away from the wound! GREAT STUFF!!!!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I would make a few changes to the list:

no hydrogen peroxide, iodine, spray on wound dressings --all of these products are harmful to the tissues and slow healing. Hydrogen peroxide is far from a good antibacterial cleaning agent too. (information presented at the 2006 AAEP convention)

I would also ensure that the vet's phone number is included in the first aid kit so you don't have to go digging for it in an emergency and a copy of a good equine first aid manual.

Here is are a couple of good links on first aid and when to call the vet, but be warned there are some graphic photos:

http://www.acvs.org/AnimalOwners/HealthConditions/LargeAnimalEquineTopics/GeneralWoundManagement/

http://www.acvs.org/AnimalOwners/HealthConditions/LargeAnimalEquineTopics/EquineFractures/

1 - 20 of 278 Posts