The Horse Forum banner

41 - 60 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I've always been told hydrogen peroxide cleans everything, you are supposed to soak earrings in it it when you get a new piercing.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Nope, it doesn't do much to get rid of bacteria. It's generally alcohol that you are supposed to soak earrings in after piercing because alcohol will disenfect them--but it takes at least 30 minutes.

·
Registered
829 Posts
hydrogen and iodine can be used on wounds

Ryle said:
I would make a few changes to the list:

no hydrogen peroxide, iodine, spray on wound dressings --all of these products are harmful to the tissues and slow healing. Hydrogen peroxide is far from a good antibacterial cleaning agent too. (information presented at the 2006 AAEP convention)

I would also ensure that the vet's phone number is included in the first aid kit so you don't have to go digging for it in an emergency and a copy of a good equine first aid manual.

Here is are a couple of good links on first aid and when to call the vet, but be warned there are some graphic photos:

http://www.acvs.org/AnimalOwners/HealthConditions/LargeAnimalEquineTopics/GeneralWoundManagement/

http://www.acvs.org/AnimalOwners/HealthConditions/LargeAnimalEquineTopics/EquineFractures/
hydrogen peroixide and iodine are great to use on wounds.

·
Registered
78 Posts
BAG BALM!

there isn't a bag balm on the list.

i think bag balm is the most essential ingredient for a vet kit.

bag balm serves as:
a moisturizer for anything very dry
a lubricant
an anti bacterial wound cleaner
great for rashes stings, bites
soothes things well. [injurys etc]
a sunburn or any other kind of burn
and SO MANY OTHER THINGS!

bag balm is a LIFE SAVER!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm also not a fan of petroleum products.

I use Cocoa butter and coconut oil instead of vaseline.

Coconut oil is also antibacterial/antifungal.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Arnica gel isnt on there and neither is purple spray :p
Arnica gel for sprayns n bruising
Purple spray for any wound ( size, shape , form)
xx

·
Registered
210 Posts
This is an excellent topic. I did this topic on another forum I was on several months ago because I was putting together a human/equine one for my barn. I had the basis but I wanted others opinions & input! Thankfully I haven't had to use it yet, but I am a step ahead *for once in my life* (ha ha) and have most of these products.

I see a lot of people against peroxide. I don't use it either but mainly b/c I don't like it & think that there are far better products out there.

**Ryle** thanks for those websites. I printed them out & saved the site to my favorite to read at my leisure. You were always a big help on the other forum. Great to see you putting your 2 cents on this one too! :wink:

I'm a big towel fan ~ I use towels often for various aspects of my equine life! Then all you have to do is take them home & wash them. Less waste too!

·
Registered
152 Posts
swat is a great ointment used to keep flies off of wounds. it doesnt sting and it stays in place. it works very well. i use it over my wound treatments.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great thread. I would also like to add bleach. It will instantly kill thrush. It isn't as hard on the hooves as you would think. Just keep it on the sole. Father was a certified ferrier.

Randi

41 - 60 of 278 Posts