Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!
I am getting my horse soon, and I am planning on teaching him to jump. Problem, where I will board him, and yes it is the best and only option, they are all western people, and all they have that I could jump are barrels, which aren't really ideal for learning. So how can I cheaply, and easily make home made jumps? They need to be safe for jumping and using as ground poles. I don't think they would let me use their hay bales either. :p So, any one got any ideas?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything pricey if you're at a boarding barn, unless you plan on packing all of your jumping equipment up and locking it up when you're done. Honestly, poles aren't very expensive and find some buckets to set up cross rails, etc. and there you go.

Are you going to be working with a trainer?

58 Posts
I find just getting a few wooden stakes/ poles, they don't have to be round or anything, and put them on top of the flat barrel. That trains him for Hunter jumps! Now, simply paint it red+white, or any colour of your choice and BOOM! That's him trained for coloured poles haha!;)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Use PVC pipe for poles...round and cheap. Already white, you can use different colored duct tape wrapped around the poles for your colors..if you want it. As indicated already, lay the "poles" on top of overturned buckets, even those barrels lying on their sides. If they won't let you, er, borrow the hay bales, go pick up a couple of bales of straw but make sure they realize those are for jumps only.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Use PVC pipe for poles...round and cheap. Already white, you can use different colored duct tape wrapped around the poles for your colors..if you want it. As indicated already, lay the "poles" on top of overturned buckets, even those barrels lying on their sides. If they won't let you, er, borrow the hay bales, go pick up a couple of bales of straw but make sure they realize those are for jumps only.
I wouldn't use PVC for a horse that's being trained to jump. They're more likely to knock / step on poles and PVC are more dangerous than wood and aren't as likely to teach a horse to pick up their feet if they knock the pole and it just falls.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't buy anything pricey if you're at a boarding barn, unless you plan on packing all of your jumping equipment up and locking it up when you're done. Honestly, poles aren't very expensive and find some buckets to set up cross rails, etc. and there you go.

Are you going to be working with a trainer?
I worked with a trainer for six years on jumping, and 6 years on dressage before that, so I know what im doing, but one of my friends and I are going to give each other lessons, and I will have the occasional lesson with a trainer. just to make sure im on track.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I still worked on dressage after I started jumping though.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I got treated pine poles from my local stock feeders and then went to a local tyre shop and got a heap of old tyres off them.

For 6 jumps that can be put up to 80cms, it cost me aprox $42 and that was just for the poles. The tyres were free.

They are safe jumps and highly adjustable :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.