The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trimmer gave me one of her old rasps that still works well enough for my purposes (occasional touchups between trimmer visits). It didn't have a handle, though, but I asked my husband to make one. He's a wood turner and has practically been begging me to ask him to make something for me for the past year. I haven't asked because I just don't need more stuff. Anyway, he was happy to make this.

Then he asked if there was any other horse related stuff he could make. I thought maybe he could make a hoof stand? Any thoughts about this? It would be mostly wood. We have some super tough live oak he could use, if strength would be a concern. Or could he make the base out of wood and just get a metal pole for the metal part? It would look really nice if it were all wood, though...

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
The biggest thing is you need weight on the bottom of the stand. Most homemade ones around here are made with a disc blade for the base with some lead shot down the pipe-- then it's heavy enough to not tip over easily, and wide enough you can stand on it when working. Grind the edges of the blade so they won't cut a horse if he should flip the stand and hit it with his legs. I would be concerned wood could be too brittle and not heavy enough.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts

·
Registered
14,662 Posts
I made one out of a patio umbrella stand. It wasn't adjustable but it never tipped, it was heavy. I do enough horses and starting to shoe so I just bought one, much better.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Hondo thanks for the links!
@waresbear this live oak we have is tough -- hard and heavy. My husband made one plate out of it and went through four metal blades to get it done. He said he wasn't going to ever use it again because it wasn't worth it. But I feel like it might be appropriate here. At least for the base, if not for the pole.

So, I started searching for antique farrier stuff, since I thought they might have used wooden stands, and I found this for sale on eBay. I'm thinking that the cloth stool is for the farrier, and the sort of convex wooden piece in the middle of the top of the box is for the horse's hoof. Do you guys think that's right? Or would the cloth stool be for the horse?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also this picture, surely the horsehoe isn't there for no reason?

Attachments

·
Registered
14,662 Posts
That's a tool box for your farrier tools. I suppose if your horse is quiet enough go ahead and try.

Reactions: ACinATX

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Handle to carry. Not for the hoof. At least not according to my old farrier. He had a small museum of stuff that I used to ask questions about. The stool is for the farrier. Camp stool or military. Same purpose - provide a place off the ground for your tired self.

·
Registered
14,662 Posts
Or you can be tough as nails, like my farrier who is teaching me to shoe, and not use a hoof stand, lol. He says he doesn't want anything around for the horse to knock over and hurt itself. The first time I worked with him, I didn't use a stand. After that I said forget it, I am working on my own horses I will use a stand! He still laughs at me for using gloves. For just trimming, I only use the stand for finishing the hoof that's it, so he did have some influence on me, lol.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I made my own stand out of wood. The base is made of 3/4th inch plywood. Then a chunk of wood from a square post. On top of that some wood tabs screwed on the side of the top. An old leather latigo was cut and attached to the tabs to make a cradle for the hoof.

Now I can use it the way it is, but the tabs are a little large and I keep meaning to disassemble it. The tabs stick out and interfere with the rasp, but you can reposition the stand to move them out of the way. One day I will get around to fixing it. The tabs just need to be cut narrower. I left them too wide.

·
Registered
14,662 Posts
I made my own stand out of wood. The base is made of 3/4th inch plywood. Then a chunk of wood from a square post. On top of that some wood tabs screwed on the side of the top. An old leather latigo was cut and attached to the tabs to make a cradle for the hoof.

Now I can use it the way it is, but the tabs are a little large and I keep meaning to disassemble it. The tabs stick out and interfere with the rasp, but you can reposition the stand to move them out of the way. One day I will get around to fixing it. The tabs just need to be cut narrower. I left them too wide.
I would love to see a picture of it!

Reactions: ACinATX

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.