The Horse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of purchasing my first horse. She's a 5-6yr old mare a friend has for sale. Its an outstanding offer for a first time owner as she will cost me $700, and $50 a month for the board and feeding. The man who owns her now has been her sole owner, he raised her since birth. He told me he knew his mare was expecting but was shocked to look out his window one morning to see this gorgeous mostly white with red paint running along side its mother in his pasture - he then named her after the song - They call the wind mariah :)
She's 3 quarter TW and 1 quater morgan - as proven by her size and the thick/long mane and tail - she's about 14hh
I've ridden her 2 times, I've caught her out of the pasture alone and she does fine, groomed her thouroughly yesterday even pulling kuckoburros out of her mane and using spray and she didn't mind a bit. She's a lover and I need that in a horse as I enjoy being around them just as much as riding.
I'm trying to make this decision. My fiance is interested in her pasture mate mare as well, a red registered TW. He has also known the seller since he was a child and actually rode with him for many years. The situation sounds to me like my dream is coming together :)
I ask all you horse owners for any advice you have, any pointers or suggestions, any advice on owning a mare, etc. Please enlighten me.
I look forward to any advice offered!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I do have pictures and I will try to load them today, my internet at home where my photo software is has been down.
Thanks for your input

·
Registered
504 Posts
She is a cutie.. i think it sounds like a good deal.. $700 for a horse you really like and actually know the owner is being honest about her history..
The one thing i would say about owning a mare is - they are just like women... Can change into a lil moody mare around her time of the month but once you have a trusted and strong relationship you will both be able to handle them 'times of months'
All horses have different personalilties tho just like people so aslong as the two of you get on well together then im sure it would be a good deal to make.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you both very much!
Jemma - must ask you first.. is Jemma your name? I ask because my boss just had their first born and her name is Jemma! I think its a very pretty unique name:)
I appreciate your thoughts on mariah - I really do think she is a great buy, she does very well and this man has raised her since the beginning, and he has some very well tempered horses. He is also willing to allow me to keep her there for only 50 a month! That includes feed and him tending to her (though upon purchase he probably won't be able to get rid of me :)
Thanks for the info on owning a mare.. I've not spend an incredible amount of time around them and so it will be a learning experience for sure. The stables I use to work at had only geldings, and they did board a few mares. Can you ride when they are in heat or is it best to not?
I make my final decision this weekend after one last long hopefully!
Thanks again - keep you posted!!

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
I'm not even sure what to give you for advice. It sounds like its a done deal already :lol:

It sounds like one of those things where you can just trust the seller. How long have you known this man? Would you consider getting a vet check done just to make sure she's fit and healthy?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!!
Not sure about the vet check, it has crossed my mind as I know its the smart thing to do. What do they usually charge? I haven't known the man very long but my fiance has known him since he was a child and he is friends with his family as well. Seems like a very good person to me and he tells me everytime I see him that he wants me to be totally happy with her when I make my decision.
Would you suggest the vet check?
Thanks again :)

·
Registered
808 Posts
I would always suggest a vet check. Even on inexpensive horses, medical bills are ALWAYS expensive! A simple pre-purchase exam in my area is about $300, plus a farm call. That includes everything head to tail except x-rays and bloodwork. If you don't want to spend that much, many vets will do a "wellness exam" for about $100. They give the horse a once over, listen to heart & lungs, but no flex test. They should be able to tell you if there is anything jumping out at them that's a concern or needs to be looked at more closely.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I agree strongly too vet check!! or at least call the vet that they have used and use now. and find out some history too!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thank you both very much!
Jemma - must ask you first.. is Jemma your name? I ask because my boss just had their first born and her name is Jemma! I think its a very pretty unique name:)
I appreciate your thoughts on mariah - I really do think she is a great buy, she does very well and this man has raised her since the beginning, and he has some very well tempered horses. He is also willing to allow me to keep her there for only 50 a month! That includes feed and him tending to her (though upon purchase he probably won't be able to get rid of me :)
Thanks for the info on owning a mare.. I've not spend an incredible amount of time around them and so it will be a learning experience for sure. The stables I use to work at had only geldings, and they did board a few mares. Can you ride when they are in heat or is it best to not?
I make my final decision this weekend after one last long hopefully!
Thanks again - keep you posted!!
Yeah Jemma is my name. Alot of people misspell it with a 'g' Gemma but my parents wanted to me kinda unique so spelt it with a 'J'. The only thing that sucks is its hard to find your name anywhere lol.. Congrats to your boss:D I approve of the name :p haha.

$50 a month, including feed and him keeping a watchfull eye over her is near enough free. Some places are $300 w/o feed so i would jump on that offer. Plus your man knows him so you know it will be a friendly place when you are all down there together.

Ive worked with Mares, Gelding, Stallions, the whole lot and in my experiance i would say it all depends on the horse and her personailty. Different mares have different reactions when they are in heat. Some you can hardly even tell and some you dont want to go near haha. Maybe ask the guy she is with now how she is to be around when she is in heat. If she is insainly moody it would proberly be wiser not to ride her that time. If she is calm then i would say go ahead and enjoy riding her. The only thing i would watch out for is look out and make sure there isnt many stallions near by where you would ride. Riding her past a stallion whilst she is in heat isnt a fantastic idea. You will get a better idea once you have been with her longer.
Sorry about the essay but if you want to know anything more just ask...:) and have fun with her

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all! I will definitly call around and check with the vets on a pre-purchase. My aunt has a dear friend who is a a vet in the area and owns a bunch of horses, perhaps we could get her to come out since shes a friend of the family :) My aunt is hoping to purchase a morgan from her.
Jemma!! Wow, I had never heard the name until my boss and his wife gave birth, I LOVE IT! I too thought it would be with a G but they went with the J as well. Very pretty!
Thanks for your imput as well - I feel like the montly cost alone is something I can't pass up, the stable I use to work for in the area and whom I know the owner charges 200 at a min.. So really thats the icing on my cake. :)
I posted in the critique section and Ive got some concerns, if you can take a look do I'd like your thoughts.. I plan to snap some better pictures the next time I'm out there. I really do trust the owner and do not believe he would try to do me wrong in any way. In fact I even believe if something did go wrong he would do his best to make it right, whatever that may be... he really is a good man.
Thanks for the info on the heat, yes that has been a fear of mine, "running into a stallion" when in heat.... I don't know of many around here but I will keep an extra close watch out. Question, is it physically noticiable when they are in heat? And from your expeirence looking for two horses for myself and my fiance would you still with same sex? Or do geldings and mares do fine as well?
thanks again for all your imput! Looks like due to my fiances work schedule and this winter weather that I may have another week of debating before my final ride and decision time :)
Thanks again and HAPPY FRIDAY TO ALL!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I will look in the critique section for your post..
Its always good to have some kind of connection with the owner, that way he can still see the horse he has had and grown to love and you know that if anything goes wrong you know the person to go to.
Plus i think that fact that he is family friend of your fiance proves he is good for his word.
Erm like i said all mares are different when it comes to their 'time of the month' BUT the main thing you will notice is she will lift her tail up and 'swish' it more often.. and you will see her umm working her stuff ( to put it nicely lol )
Also im not to sure what sort of horses she is with at the moment but this one mare that i had tried to get every horse to mount her.. even our mini ( she was 16hh) and our mini was actually a stallion.. so she would really annoy him as you can imagine. The funniest thing i ever saw her do was get him to stand at the top of a hill and then she wuld stand a lil bit down and i kid you not she actually bent down. I couldnt believe my eyes. HAHA. And when he didnt quite reach she would kick him to tell him to get a move on. So like i said every horse is different in their own ways. But i have never had a problem with having mares, geldings and stallions all in the safe field together all year around. Its true what they say about mares becoming the leader of the heard, espesially when she is pregnant.
If she doesnt get on with geldings for that period of time you can just seperate them for a little bit.
Once you have had her a while you will be able to know when she is due on and even be able to mark in on the calender like you would your own..
In my experiance i have never really had any problems with a mare in heat. Just the typical moodyness and flurting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts