The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this case specifically, a German martingale. The rings and rope don't confuse me at all, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on length? Also would it be safe to use rings instead of snaps and in conjunction use rein stops instead of reins with extra D rings? I'd like to be able to hand make a lot of my training equipment but want to make sure it's safe to do so!

If anyone has suggestions for how to make other tack at home from simple supplies feel free to post those as well. :)

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
I'm no expert on making anything of decent quality :D But I have rigged quite a few germans for nothing but the cost of hay.

What I did was I lent my really good german martingale out to a friend, ended up needing it, so I rigged up some leather and bailing twine. The ******* fix as my trainer has been calling it. :D

I took two trands of twine, tied them together around the ring on my cinch (A makeshift clip; just a little knot I could undo later) and then used a little band to hold the together about mid chast before the two individual piece of twine seperated to thread through the cheek pieces. From then, I just threaded it and tied each end to my reins herever I needed them.

I will tell you it's nothing pretty but it works. Also probably not what you are looking to make, but if you ever need a quick german martingale then that's what I would suggest.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.