The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple years, I've been messing around with making halters, leads, saddle pads, and reins in my spare time, and its very relaxing for me. Recently I bought a green broke gelding who rides in a half-breed side pull (the ones with a snaffle). My problems are A) I can't find a medium/dark oil half-breed ANYWHERE in tack stores, or online. Its all the light oil harness leather that I don't like. At all. B) I have been studying the half-breeds at work as well as pictures, and I think it would be semi-easy to make my own (plan to experiment with some paracord/nylon before moving on to leather?)..

My questions are: Do ya'll think it would be worth it to try and make my own that I like, and would it still be as effective as store bought ones? I know I could get the light oil and just oil it myself, but I'm afraid it won't look any better after I'm done lol.

I've attached a picture of a half-breed side pull just to make sure we are all on the same page because I know some people who have different names for them :)

057_2_1024x1024.jpg

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
If you can make a halter, you can do all the leather parts. The problem is the nose piece. If you can find one of those you should have no problem.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
It looks alright, but you can just never tell until you try it on your horse! The attachment part looks a little thin, what you are trying to make attaches the bit to the nose rope. Take a look at the bit you are going to use, and try to get the people at the horse.com to measure how wide a bit that nose rope will accept. I have dealt with this company, and they are pretty good at helping out.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
And ask them to measure the nose rope end to end. It looks like it has to fit just right to make the bridle work. If it is to short, it will pull on your bit, to long and it will not set right on the horse's nose.

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
I jury-rigged my own out of a regular snaffle and a leather-nose Little S hackamore. Took the leather nosepiece off the hack and attached it to the rings on the bit and viola.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Can you put up a photo of what you did, Drafty? I see how it may work, but a photo will show if it works the same as the bridle pictured here.

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
I don't have a pic, unfortunately. :-( I used it once, then got an actual sidepull, so didn't need the jury-rigged one anymore. I used a D-ring snaffle (only thing I had that fit him at the time) and used a piece of bailing twine to hold the nosepiece in the relatively upright position, like in the pic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.