The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Male friend and I both knew to riding, he claims its easier for men to ride because women are going to have so much more bouncing than men, and I'll admit that when we do ride I dont feel like I'm getting enough bra support but its just annoying that he claims women have it so much harder in riding.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
That's obviously an uneducated opinion.

There's no gender that riding is easier for. I can ride eons better than my boyfriend but my guy friend can ride circles around me.

Tell him to trot a horse once and then see how his balls are holding up :p

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is definitely not an expert on horseback riding as he is brand new just like me, but I do understand his point about the breast problem.

Does that affect guys a lot when riding? He didn't complain at all about it on our first ride

That's obviously an uneducated opinion.

There's no gender that riding is easier for. I can ride eons better than my boyfriend but my guy friend can ride circles around me.

Tell him to trot a horse once and then see how his balls are holding up :p

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I would rather have my bouncy bits on my chest where I can strap them down rather than have them in my lap when I'm riding!

Try wearing a sports bra OVER your regular bra.

Wait until you get to trot and canter work and see who's laughing then ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it was dumb of me not to wear a sports bra, this was my first time and I dont really play any sports so I dont wear them very often.

Is trot and canter work harder to do or something?

I would rather have my bouncy bits on my chest where I can strap them down rather than have them in my lap when I'm riding!

Try wearing a sports bra OVER your regular bra.

Wait until you get to trot and canter work and see who's laughing then ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
He is correct that men tend to be better riders, just not for that reason. Men tend to sit more correctly with their pelvis neutral because they have to keep their junk out of the way while women tend to ride with their pelvis tipped more forward, therefore out of alignment in terms of balance.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so its physically easier to guys to ride or they just tend to sit more correctly? He was just making fun of me because I had so much uncomfortable bouncing while he didnt

He is correct that men tend to be better riders, just not for that reason. Men tend to sit more correctly with their pelvis neutral because they have to keep their junk out of the way while women tend to ride with their pelvis tipped more forward, therefore out of alignment in terms of balance.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Guys tend to sit with their pelvis in neutral position, meaning not tipped forward or backward. A neutral pelvis position gives your body the shock absorbers to sit the trot much easier than someone who has their shock absorbers blocked one way or the other.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Your male friend is just a gunsel spouting off, perhaps to compensate for his own insecurities about horsemanship. Dr. Deb Bennett did a study on which gender riding is easier for, all very scientific (pelvis shape, etc.), so you might want to read her take on it at her site. I don't recall her conclusion, but the truth is that all are gunsels at the start, all must put in many hours (read years) into becoming true horsemen (tendons & ligaments must in fact stretch to accommodate a secure, balanced seat, over TIME), & that both genders have proven to be capable of becoming truly fine riders.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Male friend and I both knew to riding, he claims its easier for men to ride because women are going to have so much more bouncing than men

LOL - It is true that women bounce in the saddle more than men but not because of that. The shape of a woman's pelvis makes riding harder for them.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, he is one of those know it all people

Your male friend is just a gunsel spouting off, perhaps to compensate for his own insecurities about horsemanship. Dr. Deb Bennett did a study on which gender riding is easier for, all very scientific (pelvis shape, etc.), so you might want to read her take on it at her site. I don't recall her conclusion, but the truth is that all are gunsels at the start, all must put in many hours (read years) into becoming true horsemen (tendons & ligaments must in fact stretch to accommodate a secure, balanced seat, over TIME), & that both genders have proven to be capable of becoming truly fine riders.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
It's not "harder" but you need to learn more before you do it.

However, I think they're refer to the bounce factor, which can hurt men if they don't have a secure seat as they can be sort of "thrown around" a little.

In the lower levels of horse riding then tend to be far more female riders and no one seems to have long term problems with their breasts. Something you might want to consider is saddles. In my experience some saddles seem to be better designed for women, and others for men. I find I like saddles with a narrower twist, where as I've heard men often prefer wider twists.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
His argument is men dont have to worry at all about the bounce factor because they dont have breasts

It's not "harder" but you need to learn more before you do it.

However, I think they're refer to the bounce factor, which can hurt men if they don't have a secure seat as they can be sort of "thrown around" a little.

In the lower levels of horse riding then tend to be far more female riders and no one seems to have long term problems with their breasts. Something you might want to consider is saddles. In my experience some saddles seem to be better designed for women, and others for men. I find I like saddles with a narrower twist, where as I've heard men often prefer wider twists.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just gotta comment on this one.... Ive seen great female riders and I seen great male riders, but as a man I must admit, a bouncy ride isn't enjoyable at all for the "guys" any more then the bounce is for you ladys. Tell ya' male friend his day of reckoning is coming !!!!!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.