The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have noticed that my friends horse has been eating manure in the pasture lately, i have seen him eat 3 whole piles!!! why is this?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's either lacking something in his diet or he's just bored.
what couold he be lacking? and they have a mineral block, and 2 other horses in that pasture to play with!

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
You see this most of the time with foals. They do it b/c they need the benifical bacteria. Go and get a couple big tubs of yogurt and mix it in with his feed. That helps most of the time if that is the reason. If it is one of the others listed then you will need to try some other things.

Also just b/c there is a salt block does not mean they are getting the minerals they need. Solid blocks are hard for the horse to digest and to get enough. I use loose minerals myself along with blocks. That way I know they are getting what they need.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my horse, and one other horse along with him get 6-8 flakes spread around plus 1 and 1 half quarts of grain twice a day! he is the one who usually steals the 3 year olds food. he isn't my horse so i cant give him anything and my friend just gets mad when i say she should do something about it!

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
I have three horses they have 24/7 hay to eat plus salt blocks loose minerals and they get grain twice a day. They still eat there poop they go through periods that they do this then quit.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
I have an 18 month old that eats poo even when he has free choice hay, vitamin/mineral supplement in a handful of Strategy daily AND free access to both a salt and a mineral block.

He puts everything in his mouth, so why not poo I guess?

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
^^^ LoL.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Could be to replace beneficial bacteria or to get some nutrient missing in the diet. Any signs of ulcers? Any course of antibiotics done lately? I would be feeding trace minerals as suggested. Know that horses are grazing animals. Unlike us, they are producing stomach acid 24/7. If there is no hay going through and the horse is waiting for his next meal, then the stomach is eating itself while he waits. Slow feeders are also a good regulator and fight boredom. Salt and mineral blocks don't cut it and neither yogurt. A proper probiotic is a good addition to any diet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.