The Horse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to work on my poor mare's dry mane. She has nice long hair, but the texture is not really looking healthy.

She doesn't show or ride or anything- she is a companion for myself of course, and my gelding- but I still wanted to spend some time on her hair and make it look really nice.

I have always, on any horse I've groomed, gently worked from the bottom of the mane/tail to the top- so I am good on that.
I have used the Oster brush for quite awhile, but I feel like it may be too harsh on hair you are trying to keep healthy, no?

Is there a nice mane/tail brush that is meant for really keeping the hair healthy and unbroken?

Also, I wanted to look into finding a nice spray/product for the mane/tail for conditioning/hydration/shine/health. I saw someone recommend Eqyss on here, which I have definitely seen around, but which spray? Or are there other recommendations?

Sorry for the awkward/choppy writing, I am exhausted, lol.

Thanks, let me know!

P.S- I felt like a certified fool yesterday, because I tried to wash my mare's mane/tail alone, not her, and ended up still soaking her chest/neck. Is there a way to shampoo and condition the mane WITHOUT doing that, haha? Or is it just a given?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
The first step to a quality coat is nutrition, so I would begin there.

Reactions: stevenson

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The first step to a quality coat is nutrition, so I would begin there.
elaborate...? Any specific supplements you would recommend? I sort of co-own my horses with my neighbor so I am not the only one in on the diet decision, kind of a long story, but they both eat:
-purina equine senior grain morning and night
-alfalfa hay at night
-a scoop of msm powder (joint supplement) in the morning
-they also get these sort of sticky-sweet oats I'll have to go double check on the brand.
-They are pasture horses, so they nibble on grass all day (but the grass is pretty short now, which is why they get hay).
-They also get 4-5 sugar cubes before they eat their grain at night.

Their health overall is fantastic, my gelding is 32 and both looks and acts half his age (still does riding lessons, gets rowdy in the pasture and does a little buck or two every now and then, etc), I am just looking at the manes and tails which seem a bit dry :)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
elaborate...? Any specific supplements you would recommend? I sort of co-own my horses with my neighbor so I am not the only one in on the diet decision, kind of a long story, but they both eat:
-purina equine senior grain morning and night
-alfalfa hay at night
-a scoop of msm powder (joint supplement) in the morning
-they also get these sort of sticky-sweet oats I'll have to go double check on the brand.
-They are pasture horses, so they nibble on grass all day (but the grass is pretty short now, which is why they get hay).
-They also get 4-5 sugar cubes before they eat their grain at night.

Their health overall is fantastic, my gelding is 32 and both looks and acts half his age (still does riding lessons, gets rowdy in the pasture and does a little buck or two every now and then, etc), I am just looking at the manes and tails which seem a bit dry :)
I won't comment much on the feed, but anything with excess sugar is generally a no-go for horses (sticky-sweet oats & sugar cubes). Both things are very much an 'older style' thing to feed and have been proven to not be good for horses. If the horses need additional feed for weight, increase the senior grain. As for improving their nutrition, you'll have to know what they are lacking in their diet (soil analysis or hay analysis). A good ration balancer can do great things for a horse.

Otherwise, if you go the baby section of a store there is something called baby oil gel. That's all I use for detangling and conditioning of my horses manes and tails. It's way, way, way cheaper than Cowboy Magic or other gels made specifically for horses.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use coconut oil...sometimes I'll add a little (like a dollop) of whatever leave in hair conditioner I have on hand.
It makes it really easy to brush out their manes and tails, and it's absorbed pretty quickly, so their hair isn't all greasy.

·
Registered
239 Posts
No lol there’s really isn’t a way except juggling a bucket and dunking it(colder states i know do this)

i personally speaking am a mane and tail fiend lol
However that being said i have used horseguard hoof and hair which helped the new hair grow in strong and healthy but have not been for almost a year now. Other than that mine are not on anything specialI typically keep both braided or in a “knot” technique for those who won’t keep tail bags in or destroy them. I don’t use anything special(suave coconut and ogx coconut oil and argan oil serum and/or dry spray).
I minimally brush, if i do “dry brush” I’ll add some conditioner or detangler and more oil to the ends. This is my 3 yr and her mane and tail are my babies lol

This kind of shows the knot technique(he kills any and all tail bags)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts